Thread: Luthiers in Eastern/Central Montana and Northern Wyoming

Default Luthiers in Eastern/Central Montana and Northern Wyoming

Good morning from Billings. I am working on an F5 style mandolin for my son. Almost finished making all the parts. I've been working on the back and soundboard for what seems like months. Neck is almost finished and the rib is finished.

I am not a musician and know nothing about tap tuning or know an A from an E. I have built a baritone ukulele for my granddaughter that apparently plays pretty good according to those that seem to know. And to complicate matters, I'm using non-traditional woods for the back (figured cherry) and soundboard (sinker redwood) so I'm not entirely comfortable strictly following graduation specifications for maple and spruce.
    I am also including a couple of other non-traditional features like the scroll and violin edges.

I was curious to know if there are any builders in my area that would be willing to look at my plates and give me some feedback regarding tap tones, graduation, tonebars, etc. I'm willing to drive a couple of hours (maybe more) from Billings.

I look forward to any replies and meeting some/one of you.

Thanks so much - Gary Davis

[IMG]Untitled by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Default Re: Luthiers in Eastern/Central Montana and Northern Wyoming

Bruce Weber is the most well-known luthier in Montana at Montana Luthierie. Otherwise, you can so a search by state on the Cafe's builder's database.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Bruce is the mando guru. He lives in Big Fork or Whitefish now...6+ hr from Billings.
    Good luck on your special build, it looks great!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Thanks y'all. Maybe I'll contact Bruce and visit with him next time I visit my friend in Missoula.

Gary

Daniel Roberts at danielrobertsstringworks.com lives in Belgrade. He used to build mandolins but now focuses on guitars. He might be able to offer you some friendly advice. He is a super nice guy.