Thread: Curt Mangan Monels

Default Curt Mangan Monels

Just put a set of the 11-40 Curt Mangan Monels on my RAG oval . Went on easy, tuned up quickly and sound great. Replaced a set of SIT 11-40. The difference is very nice. A woodier tone, about the same volume. Will try the Curt Mangan Bluegrass next time.

Default Re: Curt Mangan Monels

Interesting - I just put as set of D'Addario Monels on my humble Eastman 305, and they sound nice, but less woody to me than the D'Addario PB on there originally. I saw a post recommending GHS strings for a woody sound, but the caveat from several posters was 'short life'. Can anyone suggest strings for a woody sound and decent life? Are the Curt Mangan Monels worth trying on my Eastman if I can find them in UK?

I really like the Curt Mangan monels on my F5.

Ditto D'Addario monels but the Mangan's come in gauge-sets I prefer.

Did not like Martin monels but only tried them on a snakehead.

I haven't tried the Curt Mangan monel strings yet, but I have been nicely surprised at how good the Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings sound on my mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello and guitar.

I frequently try out new picks and strings, so I've tried lots of string brands. The Curt Mangan strings really have an audibly better volume, sustain and richer tone.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

maxrRob Roy 

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

I just tried Curt Mangan Monels on my Gibson Fern - fine sound and playability!
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

7. The following members say thank you to Dave Reiner for this post:

maxr 

I love the CM Monels but I get the Gabe Wiseman set so they have the heavier A and E gauges. Been exclusively a Daddario fan for years but this set converted me!

9. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Hmmm .... the Monel strings I tried sounded .... IDK ... a little brittle , too bright on my Model 5. I expect on a darker toned instrument they would work well. CM makes fine strings without a doubt but I will stick with the PB's. R /
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...