Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Default Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE5E2874-567E-4B88-938B-F40D204CA08F.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1,010.5 KB 
ID:	193646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE5E2874-567E-4B88-938B-F40D204CA08F.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1,010.5 KB 
ID:	193646
    I'm sitting here with my morning coffee wondering why this thread is so long. I've been using the D'Addario micro for a few years now and love it. So I thought I didn't need to read this thread, but I never knew these existed, I'm going to order a couple today, thanks.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

2. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    I'm sitting here with my morning coffee wondering why this thread is so long. I've been using the D'Addario micro for a few years now and love it. So I thought I didn't need to read this thread, but I never knew these existed, I'm going to order a couple today, thanks.
    I’ve had a few instruments with a sweet spot where the tuner works best. If yours is like that, make sure that clip less micro will go in said spot. Otherwise, they’re awesome and super handy.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by MediumMando5722 View Post
    I’ve had a few instruments with a sweet spot where the tuner works best. If yours is like that, make sure that clip less micro will go in said spot. Otherwise, they’re awesome and super handy.
    Mine came today, I put it on my Gibson F5, and I love it! I mounted it on the top most screw on the treble side tuners, and it works great. The tuner itself seems to be a bit of an upgrade from the old model, it appears to lock in better and doesn't jump around. And I like the blue color scheme.

Still trying to figure out how I can mount one to my Taylor guitar. I have the Taylor tuners with no visible screws. Anyone have any ideas?

Mine came today, I put it on my Gibson F5, and I love it! I mounted it on the top most screw on the treble side tuners, and it works great. The tuner itself seems to be a bit of an upgrade from the old model, it appears to lock in better and doesn't jump around. And I like the blue color scheme.

Still trying to figure out how I can mount one to my Taylor guitar. I have the Taylor tuners with no visible screws. Anyone have any ideas?
    My lead guitar player drilled a hole in the middle (bottom) of his headstock and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    My lead guitar player drilled a hole in the middle (bottom) of his headstock and loves it.
    Wow. I've never had a problem putting on a strap button on an A model, or a pickup on my F, or whatever. But putting a hole in the headstock for a tuner - gonna have to think about that one first. I know I could patch it with filler and stain to make it almost invisible, but still. It would be more for convenience (never lose it, have a better place to park the capo, etc.), than it would be for necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    I'm still thinking about the irony of this: Drilling a hole in your headstock to mount a tuner that is designed to keep from damaging the finish of your instrument.

8. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Haha so true. I didn’t say I would do such a thing, but it looked fine on his electric guitar

10. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'm still thinking about the irony of this: Drilling a hole in your headstock to mount a tuner that is designed to keep from damaging the finish of your instrument.
    Yeppers! It is to laugh, and so I laugh. Well, nobody's perfect. Still, the "damage" would be on the back of the headstock only, and then covered up by the device, so ... Eh. Whaddaya gonna do?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

12. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

If you're going to drill a hole, drill a serious hole, a hole that really matters, that makes a statement...

Name:	rossis_tele.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	872.2 KB 
ID:	194477
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

14. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

Well, I've often said that it's ok to mod an instrument if it helps you to play. So I decided to go ahead and drill my Taylor guitar to mount the tuner. I usually play the mandolin in the choir, but if the director is gone, I lead on the guitar. It was always a bit awkward trying to get the capo parked on the headstock in between songs without knocking the tuner off, so I went ahead and bit the bullet. I predrilled the pilot hole, using a piece of tape on the bit to make sure I didn't go completely through the headstock. I filed off the two little feet on the back of the mounting plate since they are used to offset the height of the tuning machine plates and I didn't need them. After a test fit, it was a bit loose, so I put a couple of drops of epoxy between the tuner and the mounting plate, and let it dry. I love the position of the tuner, that it's invisible to the audience, and that I can easily position my capo without worry. I will use a bit of ebony wood filler to patch the hole if I ever remove it, but I probably won't.

I just realized that changing the battery will be a bit difficult, probably easiest to remove the screw. No big deal, they last a long time and give you a bit of warning.

Name:	Installed.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	194479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Location.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	194480

16. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

In another thread (about bright tuners) i suggested using a Korg clipon piezo mike into a pedal tuner, but i forgot one important detail, you need a pretty decent signal boost from preamp or volume pedal to get a Peterson or Turbo tuner to recognize the signal.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Since my previous reply, I’ve added the clip less NS Micro to my Northfield, and it works perfectly. I went for the top D string tuner, so it sits flush with the end of the headstock, catches all strings great.

If you own a guitar and want to see something really cool, get the one that fits in the sound hole. Somebody deserves a couple gold stars for that thing.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

19. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Blog Entries

Sherry, The varnish on my Pava is soft and tuners make marks that I have been able to rub out for the most part, but I am now only using a hand held electronic tuner with that mando. I will also just tune it relative to the pitch at the seventh fret in mid-play during practice, but the benefit of good clip on tuners is not worth the damage to my beautiful Pava Pro finish. I normally use the Peterson Stroboclip on my Weber and my guitars, as well. I want to thank you for giving me the awareness to consider alternatives for my varnished instrument. Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

21. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post: