Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Default Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Remove one screw,install with longer new screw.Does not interfere with left hand.And the new color display is better.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I don’t see how it won’t interfere with your left hand. Maybe it’s just me.

Or maybe mount it to the back by the heel.
    I'd think you'd want it behind the headstock for easy checking with a surreptitious glance. Perhaps near the tip instead of close to the nut. Or would it then pick up the vibrations from the short bits of strings between the nut and tuning posts?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    I sure hope so because they’re supposed to deliver a couple this afternoon. I figured for $11.79 apiece I couldn’t go wrong.
    Don, you must report back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Don, you must report back!
    I love the size, ease of installation, and function. You literally pull one screw out of the tuning machine and replace it a longer (supplied) screw that you stick through the tuner.

My only reservation is that the display is upside-down from my right-handed perspective the way I mounted it (and I didn’t see a good alternative mounting orientation). It may be possible to reverse the display by appropriate button pressing (haven’t checked yet), and it’s really not difficult to read upside-down. Just unexpected.

Edit to add: duh! Of course there was a tiny button I didn’t see, to scroll through two vertical and two horizontal orientation options. So zero complaints.
    Last edited by NDO; Apr-20-2021 at 2:35pm. Reason: Update

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NDO For This Useful Post:

I love the size, ease of installation, and function. You literally pull one screw out of the tuning machine and replace it a longer (supplied) screw that you stick through the tuner.

My only reservation is that the display is upside-down from my right-handed perspective the way I mounted it (and I didn’t see a good alternative mounting orientation). It may be possible to reverse the display by appropriate button pressing (haven’t checked yet), and it’s really not difficult to read upside-down. Just unexpected.

Edit to add: duh! Of course there was a tiny button I didn’t see, to scroll through two vertical and two horizontal orientation options. So zero complaints.
    So glad to hear it's a deal, not a dud.

I put my unitune tuner on and off mandolin and guitars as I need to tune, haven't seen any damage or even thought about damage

Ok, one minor complaint on my micro clipless tuner- it interferes slightly with my hanging stand.

Blog Entries

What if you move it to the other end of the strip of tuning machines?

And why can't things be perfect? Is that really asking too much?!?!?

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Ha, I just saw this pop up on the cafe homepage today. I hate tuners on the front of my headstock so much I am building new mounts for the Daddario micro clip tuners so they can sit between the tuning plates on a mandolin, stay out of the way of stand arms, and best of all the inert and removable adhesive doesn't seem to damage varnish like the rubber on the Daddario clips does if left on for months on end.

I also am making these mounting adapters for Peterson strobe tuners, as well as unitune and Snark when I get around to them. I prefer peterson, but hate the giant clip on my headstock all the time (and would rather leave it stuck on the back)

I've started shipping them out to a few players who seem to enjoy them, here is a photo on the back of one of CJ's a models:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TunebugCJ.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	193749

Name:	TunebugCJ2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	193750
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

I mean this in the best possible way. What I'm reading from many sounds like a cry for help, IMHO. Why, why, when presented with overwhelming negative information, do people continue to insist the tuner goes on the peghead? I don't get it.

Maybe, just maybe, a 12-step program could deal with this? Not sure. One would really have to want to change. It is like the alcoholic who still goes to happy hour every night and orders non-alcoholic beer, keeps all the same friends and habits.....hoping for change.....

No, no, no -- a clean break must happen. I say remove all peghead tuners, immediately! I say this for selfish reasons, I am looking down the road at the used instrument market and hopefully less marred pegheads...........

Jeff--good point!

Let's rethink this and screw them into the center of the top, right next to the f-holes.
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I mean this in the best possible way. What I'm reading from many sounds like a cry for help, IMHO. Why, why, when presented with overwhelming negative information, do people continue to insist the tuner goes on the peghead? I don't get it.

Maybe, just maybe, a 12-step program could deal with this? Not sure. One would really have to want to change. It is like the alcoholic who still goes to happy hour every night and orders non-alcoholic beer, keeps all the same friends and habits.....hoping for change.....

No, no, no -- a clean break must happen. I say remove all peghead tuners, immediately! I say this for selfish reasons, I am looking down the road at the used instrument market and hopefully less marred pegheads...........
    Gee willikers, Jeff. The used instrument market is filled with mandolins that are rather badly marred because the the owner brushes (or plants) a pinky on the top while picking, yet refuses to use a pickguard.

Surely those marks, which can go clear through the finish and into the wood, must be considered much worse than the minor scuff marks left by some tuner. No? Or is this considered, as the ads often say, "honest play wear?" (Note: I have always wondered what "dishonest play wear" is. Maybe it's the result of distressing a new instrument, like those Rick Scaggs Master Models?)

Small and rather unobtrusive (in my opinion) scuff marks can also be left on a mandolin by an armrest, by a ToneGard, or by a pickup mount. What do you have to say about those, I wonder?

Mandolins are musical tools, and we all know that tools can get worn. Like tools, we love to keep them clean and shiny and new-looking, and we do whatever we can not to break them or abuse them. But then again, we do expect them to get worn down a bit over time.

I guess you are more put out by small scuff marks than some others.

Thanks to the tip in this thread (and a couple of Snarks breaking recently) I ordered 3 of them along with some Gravity picks to try out for a change of pace from my usuals. I have one mounted on my Kelley and one on my Guild D40 so far. You can orient the base so it doesn’t interfere with your fretting hand, and the display is pretty bright. Haven’t checked accuracy with my Strobotune app yet, but I’m liking them so far. I’m trying to decide which instrument to park the last one on...

We’ll see how battery life is, but I’m a fan so far.

15. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

My favorite tuner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1,018.6 KB 
ID:	193753  

17. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Don’t understand that statement about alcoholics going to a bar and drinking non alcoholic beer.I haven’t had a drink in ten years and I occasionally go to the local pub and have a non alcoholic beer.It’s better than soda and there are a lot of good ones.Plus I play in a bar
    and get tired of water and coffee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    My favorite tuner
    My favorite tuner

Name:	TU3-1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	193754

But yes, as far as what we've been talking (and talking and talking) about here - yours is the best approach, as I've mentioned a couple of times. Unobtrusive, easily accessible - winner winner. Installing it out at that end rather than near the nut and neck makes much more sense.

Here’s a picture from the drivers seat

Name:	9537C733-1A41-4659-9C6C-A84CDC21A98A.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	193756

My strap would interfere with mounting it at the other end of the tuning block.

21. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Blog Entries

Aha! I figured there was a rationale. As long as your hand doesn't bump up against it.

Though I should talk. My strap goes under the strings just past the nut. But it's soft cloth, and gives way easily.

Blog Entries

Hi Sherry, I appreciated the topic and it made me think. My Pava has varnish finish and I noticed a tiny mark that my Peterson had made on the back of the headstock. Like Journeybear said, it was from pressure, due to the soft finish. I started using a rectangular instrument tuner that doesn’t require a clip on. Fine for home use like the phone and laptop, as well. BTW— I love my Weber too and it has been getting all the attention lately!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hi Sherry, I appreciated the topic and it made me think. My Pava has varnish finish and I noticed a tiny mark that my Peterson had made on the back of the headstock. Like Journeybear said, it was from pressure, due to the soft finish. I started using a rectangular instrument tuner that doesn’t require a clip on. Fine for home use like the phone and laptop, as well. BTW— I love my Weber too and it has been getting all the attention lately!
    Lflngpicker, glad you see value in this thread. I've been using an app on my phone as much as I can. Still interested in one of those that attaches to the back, though. Haven't figured out how you can see it back there.

Nice collection you have, BTW.

25. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Sherry, the picture above shows how it looks on the back. It’s really easy to read (easier than my snark was).

Blog Entries

Still interested in one of those that attaches to the back, though. Haven't figured out how you can see it back there.
    There are pics in Posts # 109, #114, and #117. I like these; they seem to solve most issues.

One issue they cannot solve due to their nature is permanence. Since they are installed semi-permanently with a screw, they are not transferable from one instrument to another. That wouldn't matter if one is using only one instrument. But if one has more than one instrument, the transitory nature of a clip-on tuner would give it preference. Unless one wishes to buy a tuner for each instrument.

The instruments I use for performances have 1/4" endpin jacks, so an inline tuner like the Boss T-3 pictured in Post #116 makes the most sense for me. For acoustic situations (jams, parties, camping, hiking, beaching, etc.) I have my Snark hanging out in my case's pocket.

Sherry, the picture above shows how it looks on the back. It’s really easy to read (easier than my snark was).
    Thank you, Mr Spy. Oops. I guess you don't others to know. Sorry!

Blog Entries

Lflngpicker, glad you see value in this thread. I've been using an app on my phone as much as I can. Still interested in one of those that attaches to the back, though. Haven't figured out how you can see it back there.

Nice collection you have, BTW.
    Aw, Thanks Sherry! I love my mandolins! There are many, many better, but I have what I need and enjoy. I just want to improve my playing every day. The more I play, the more I want to learn.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Aha! I figured there was a rationale. As long as your hand doesn't bump up against it.

Though I should talk. My strap goes under the strings just past the nut. But it's soft cloth, and gives way easily.
    While installing another micro tuner under my new mandolin I noticed I could adjust the rotation of the mount a little farther than I had on the Eastman, to the point it didn’t interfere with the stand. And then I adjusted the Eastman also so both are clear now. So no downsides at all IMHO.

31. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post: