Thread: Frustrated with new Loar 310F

Unhappy Frustrated with new Loar 310F

Just took possession of a new Loar 310F, and setting it up, discover it is designed to make it impossible to adjust the truss rod. It is set way deep in the neck and the peghead is set at an angle that makes it impossible to use the key they supplied with the mandolin. I'm thinking I'm going to have to send it back.

This is totally unexpected, as I thought this manufacturer was on the ball.

Before I decide on another mandolin, are there others out there that do not allow one to make adjustments that should be routine?

Thanks

Michael

Default Re: Frustrated with new Loar 310F

Quote Originally Posted by Datdaddy View Post
    ...are there others out there that do not allow one to make adjustments that should be routine?
    Unfortunately, yes there are. Also unfortunately, I don't know which brands to recommend to avoid for this purpose.
    This comes up from time to time around here and each time I mention how this is a serious pet peeve of mine. I think sending it back is a good idea. There is no excuse for making an instrument with an inaccessible adjustment, and supplying a tool that wont do the job is particularly inexcusable (IMO).

Blog Entries

I am really sorry to hear this! A new mandolin should be pleasing to you in every way. Exchange it and get them to check the truss rod for you before they ship it.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I hate to be a cloud of doom but I wonder how much good it will do to exchange it. Maybe they’re all like that.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by Datdaddy View Post
    It is set way deep in the neck and the peghead is set at an angle that makes it impossible to use the key they supplied with the mandolin. I'm thinking I'm going to have to send it back.
    Don't know if it's possible, but wouldn't it be quicker and easier to just make/modify/fabri-cobble something to allow you to access it?
    (Plus what Don said)
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

i know exactly what you are talking about, seems like the TR well is cut so deep and the entry angle for the tool is totally impossible. I have cut down the face/length of the adjustment tool(whether allen wrench or socket type tool)at times. i have a drawer full of allen wrenches and socket heads that are cut down so i'm hoping one day i will have enough to never have to alter another tool and can find a fit in the drawer.

sometimes you can open up the TR well a little here or there to allow access of the tool.

good luck
    d

7. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

They make a hex wrench set that is ball ended so it can go in at an angle. I have a set in both SAE and metric. Helps a lot in these instances.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately in this day and age $350 gets you a mandolin shaped object. It’s always worth saving your money longer and getting something better. I would definitely send it back if you can and hold out for a quality mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Years ago I had a "The Loar" and took it in for a truss rod adjustment. The luthier used one of those ball end allen wrenches like Pops1 mentioned, likely metric. No issues in adjusting with it at all, worked great.

13. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

I bought a The Loar 310F at the GC because I liked the reddish color and need an inexpensive mandolin. Back at home I became increasingly disappointed while I was doing the set up. The truss rod was adjustable with a ball end allen wrench but the mandolin was a clunky dog with a dull tone and I returned it the next day. I own a The Loar 600 series F model which I like and figured why not try the 310F. If you can return it then go for it and put your hard earned money toward something better like a Kentucky A style.

15. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

I bought one last year thinking I could take it to practice in winter and not worry about exposing my others to the weather extremes. I found it to note well with enough volume but I couldn't get past the weak sounding chop. I got rid of it.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

17. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    They make a hex wrench set that is ball ended so it can go in at an angle. I have a set in both SAE and metric. Helps a lot in these instances.
    Pops1, Thanks for the helpful information!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"