Thread: Luthiers/setup in Hawaii - Big Island?

Default Luthiers/setup in Hawaii - Big Island?

My son just bought a brand new Washburn F style in Kona, KI last week and thinks the bridge needs some work. He'd rather have someone do it, so anyone know of anyone who works on mandolins and setup in Kona or Hilo? Hilo preferred since he's with NPS in Volcanoes NP and Kona is a longer drive for him. Thanks in advance!
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Luthiers/setup in Hawaii - Big Island?

Best recollection from 15 years ago is that there were only 4 music stores in Hilo, so they were pretty easy to look up - even if one was closed that week. Hey, the whole town is within my walking distance, while my wife was at a biology conference.

Bought a uke at Hilo Guitars on Ponahawai St., who seems to be called Hilo Ukulele and Guitar these days. But I can't attest to their repair or set-up chops, especially on mandolin. They were plugged into at least one local luthier (or was he from Kona?), so it can't hurt to ask.

Kona, as best I recall, had no commercial music stores but has a handful of luthiers for whom I've seen adverts; maybe worth looking up?.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson