Thread: Floating Top Guitar, very interesting.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Floating Top Guitar, very interesting.

This was posted on YT about 3 months ago, but I haven't seen anyone share it here.

Its about 25 ish minutes long but very interesting to watch.

I was impressed by his skill with a wide variety of materials.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Floating Top Guitar, very interesting.

Interesting... very interesting concept:

For years now I've been obsessed with the relationship between the soundboard and the rest of the guitar. Most makers agree that the perimeter of the guitar top should be slightly thinner than the centre, allowing the top to vibrate more freely. This guitar build takes that idea to the next level by completely removing the perimeter, allowing the top to "float!" The resulting parlour sized instrument took me by surprise in terms of its loud volume, incredible sustain and natural reverb.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hammered dulcimers are basically of two types: fixed- and floating-top. My dulcimers are both floating-tops. I've had many fixed-top models and I vastly prefer the sound of the floating-top construction - provides for much greater resonance.

If you think of a loudspeaker cone as a floating edge connection between a small vibration and room air, the dynamics of a floating edge guitar has some similarity. That is, the large area serves as an impedance transformer for the bridge motion, and very likely adds much less coloration to the sound. Of course, there are other differences related to a backing cavity (the body) and sound holes, but I’d still think it’s a loudspeaker’s cousin.
    (I didn’t have time to view the video)

Fascinating. Thanks Spencer

Blog Entries

One thing I wonder about but I might be completely off base: At the end of the video he is playing and it looks like he is plugged in. I don't know how to judge sound that has been processed through an amp and whatever else. Heck, my hearing is pretty lousy in any case. But if what I was hearing on the video was amplified, I would have liked to have heard it unamplified. If it wasn't amplified, it sounded like it actually was, which I guess would be a plus. But what do I know? I guess I just have to say that he made a very interesting and probably very expensive guitar and if that is true, what has been learned that can be used to improve on what we think of as a "guitar"?

I did enjoy watching. Thanks for posting it. PS - I readily admit that despite my interest, I don't know nothin about no guitars.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

8. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I kinda had the same thought, Hank... I'd like to hear it unplugged to hear the "real" tone ... I mostly found the concept and build process very interesting.

From the front it looks pretty cool, but if you look at it from the back end from the POV at the end of the video, the neck sits really high and the bridge is very tall and skinny, it looks like there is likely 2 to 3 inches between the strings and the top.... from that angle, its very odd looking and I wonder if that creates any difficulty in playing it.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

The video says it's 90% acoustic 10% pickup.

Its different. Neat video too.