Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can this Gibson really fetch such a price?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can this Gibson really fetch such a price?

You cannot be sirius!

"This is a museum mandolin
    If you are sirius- please call and we will give you more information
    With Original case"

Probably original strings, too.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Here's a late-'30's A-l for sale, asking price $1350. Whoever "appraised" this one for $15-20 thousand, was just goofy.
    Funny how much difference a misplaced "0" can make. If that's the explanation. Sweet nothings!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Wow, I guess it’s time for me to sell my A50 that I use for my kitchen table mandolin; got it for $150 at a local pawn shop and only had to clean off the accumulated dust, replace the rusty strings, install new Klusen tuners (button rot) and get a tailpiece cover. It’s not mint, having five spots that really look like BB hits and it’s lacking a pickguard, but it’s fun to play while I look out the window and daydream. But, boy, if I could get 10 grand for it.........!!!

- Denis

i think the "sirius " answers the question
    Danny Clark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I wonder about that comment that it is a "museum mandolin". That may point to an aspect of its price that I am not aware of ... Something extra-mandolinny that makes it more significant.
    I think it's more likely she's just being pompous, positing a pontificating piece of puffery. Though to be fair, and despite that fun bit of folderol, she didn't say "museum mandolin." She was referring to the term "abrasions" as a "fancy museum word for scratches." But I will say, it is not in "gorgeous condition." There are some nasty scratches on the top, on the bass side, as well as a scrape along the binding there.

By the way, the other mandolin she mentions that she had seen in Indianapolis looks like a much nicer mandolin, and actually may have been worth $4000, to the right buyer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Indy.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	192930
    Last edited by journeybear; Mar-18-2021 at 6:20pm. Reason: Thought of something else

Blog Entries

I mean, in the original Craig's List ad. "This is a museum mandolin."

But yea it could equally be a pompous piece of puffery.

I bought, and subsequently sold, a beautiful bed coverlet that was a deaccession from a museum. I loved it and unfortunately had to sell it. In selling it through an antiques broker I was advised to mention, and detail, that it had been a part of a museum collection. These things matter to some.
    Last edited by JeffD; Mar-18-2021 at 8:49pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Oh! Oops! My bad ...

Nothing pompous about the ad (except the price), but the Ph.D. in the video is another story. In more ways than one.

And yes, being termed a museum piece adds at least the perception of it being significant, somehow. People assume that if a museum determines it worthy of exhibition, it must be extraordinary, even exceptional. One wonders what that means in this case.

When, through a fluky series of circumstances, I had a sculpture constructed for a school project exhibited at Yale's Peabody Museum of Natural History, I made a point of putting that on my college applications. By itself, it didn't make the work any more valuable or even noteworthy, but it did sound impressive.