Thread: Case and Tone Gard Combo for Pava (A Style)

Default Case and Tone Gard Combo for Pava (A Style)

I have seen some version of this question in a few different threads, but none particularly recent, and there are more cases on the market now.

This is particularly a question for Pava owners: Do you know which cases fit with a Pava A style while leaving a Tone Gard installed?

The Superior hard shell case that came with the mandolin is great, and fits nice and snug, but with the Tone Gard on it pushes on the top too much (would require a bit of force to latch). I am looking for alternatives that are cheaper than getting a custom fitted Calton.

Also, some have mentioned that they find the larger Tone Gard size (the Vintage Gard) to be a better fit for Pavas. My standard sized one does seem a bit small, so any data you could add to that question would be appreciated!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Default Re: Case and Tone Gard Combo for Pava (A Style)

I can't say for certain that a Pava would fit but the Crossrock case is very similar to the Superior but has more room. I can say it fits a Northfield F5S, a Girouard A5, and a Collings MT2-0 all with tonegard.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

I have a Pava A which I purchased used on the Cafe a few years ago. It arrived in its original TKL case with Tone-Guard installed, which was part of the sale. I noticed right away it was a very tight fit, though the instrument arrived without damage. It seemed prudent to store the Pava in the TKL without the Tone-Guard.

About a year later, I purchased a used Crossrock case, the one suggested by the previous post. I really like it, and the Pava can now be stored with Tone-Guard installed worry-free if I choose to do so (I don’t often find the need to use it). It also offers room to store a strap without removing it. It's a great case for my needs.

5. The following members say thank you to LeanneM for this post:

Northfield airloom deluxe case will accommodate both.
    J.Lane Pryce

7. The following members say thank you to Lane Pryce for this post:

It’s a snug fit, but I got no issues leaving the Tone Guard on when I put the Pava back in the superior case it came with. Armrest too

9. The following members say thank you to Reid Morsi for this post:

Not specifically for Pava but I doubt whether it will make much difference whether there is a tonegard on the mandolin or not. My Kimble A still fits in my custom made Calton after adding a tonegard just as my Collings mandola fits the standard Collings case; although, in the latter instance, taking the instrument out tends to remove the tonegard!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Not specifically for Pava but I doubt whether it will make much difference whether there is a tonegard on the mandolin or not. My Kimble A still fits in my custom made Calton after adding a tonegard just as my Collings mandola fits the standard Collings case; although, in the latter instance, taking the instrument out tends to remove the tonegard!
    I would have thought the same, since I've had other mandolins with Tone Gards on them before, and a variety of different brands of cases; but this case won't latch without pushing down on it a bit with the Tone Gard on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Morsi View Post
    It’s a snug fit, but I got no issues leaving the Tone Guard on when I put the Pava back in the superior case it came with. Armrest too
    Do you have the superior hard shell case, or the fiberglass one?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."