Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mando upgrade - opinions sought

Default Re: Mando upgrade - opinions sought

I stand on a Loar 520 and upgraded to a Collings MT2. Big difference especially in the sound and action, but I have since moved to a Gibson F5 Custom. I still own all 3 mandolin and there is a big difference in the sound and playability of all 3. The Collings plays smooth with a softer tone, but the Gibson is by far better for bluegrass, especially that Bluegrass chop. Can't go wrong with either, but as long as you play we are looking to upgrade - quest for the better mandolin. Good luck.

You can put 5 mandolins in a room ranging from $4000 to $7000 and hear and feel a HUGE difference between them and it has nothing to do with the price tag. That's my own experience. Mandolins are fascinating, highly variable, highly individual critters and cost is not necessarily an indication or predictor of one bring "better". In my opinion it would not be outrageous for a $600 instrument to be perfect for one individual and a $6000 instrument for another individual. It is all about how it feels and sounds in your hands. I think the best way to shop (but few may have this option near by) is to get about six mandolins (ranging from $600 - $6000 or so) together in a room and play them without seeing the price or maker - ie wear a blindfold. The resulting preference might surprise any of us.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    In my opinion it would not be outrageous for a $600 instrument to be perfect for one individual and a $6000 instrument for another individual.
    $600-ish was perfect for me, and besides, that's what I had to spend...
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Kentucky KM250 mandolin

2 x Fiddles, 1 x 5 string viola, 1 x 5 string octave viola, 2 X nyckelharpas
    2 X 12 string guitars, 3 x 6 string guitars, 1 x Cuatro de Puerto Rico
    5 x recorders - descant, alto, tenor
    1 X Highland bagpipes
    1 x Garvie 'Session' mouth blown bagpipes in A

Quote Originally Posted by NotDoneYet View Post
    hence my Collings CJ35, Bourgeois Custom OM and custom SantaCruz 0012 Skye.
    Well then! I'm thinkin' you already know the answer to your question.

So, a little, (well significant), update to my thread which started on 15 March but first, a huge shout out to everyone who contributed. I'm grateful for all your thoughts on the subject, both wise and flippant, and thought you might be interested to know what I decided.

It's a longish story with a few twists and turns which I won't bore you all with but the bottom line is I chose to go with a new Collings MT2 O, Birdseye/Italian in Honey Amber purchased from The Music Emporium. It was despatched last Thursday and UPS are scheduled to deliver it tomorrow morning. It has been a daunting process as I've never imported a relatively expensive item from the US or wired a not insignificant amount of cash before but so far it seems to be going to plan. I hope I'm not tempting fate here!

Flattering myself that you're remotely interested I'll post an update when it's actually in my hands.

Thanks again,

Al

Al - what kind of music do you expect to play? TAMCO in Brighton sounds like a great idea if you do fancy a US made instrument. I'd hate to have to sort out transport damage at that distance. Also, I've commissioned several new hand made instruments direct from the maker (violin, cello, 2 x nyckelharpas), and all of them arrived later than promised in varying degrees. Not a problem, just something to be aware of, as is the possibility that you wait 6 months and then just don't like it that much (that happened to a friend with a £10000 violin) TAMCO sell both FF hole and oval hole US instruments from stock, can probably advise on sound to suit your music and playing preferences, and they appear to take good photos of mandolins.

Oh, well done on the MT2 O - the folks at the Music Emporium are great to deal with, I bought my MT O from them. Looking forward to the update and hearing how you get on with it!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Congratulations Al. You've made a fine choice. I know that you'll love it. We are looking forward to your review.

It depends on what you want and what you get. I upgraded from a Kentucky 1500 to a Randy Wood F 5 and have never regretted the decision. The price initially took my breath away but the joy, over the years, that I continue to get from the Randy Wood is worth much more than what I had to shell out for it.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	465.8 KB 
ID:	193400

Welcome to the club!
    We few, we happy few.

UPDATE

The MT2 O arrived yesterday morning as scheduled and in perfect condition. It’s beautifully made with impeccable fit and finish entirely as expected from a Collings instrument. The Birdseye one piece back is pretty spectacular and it sounds very resonant and even toned across the strings - plus of course it should only get better with time.

There’s had to be a little adjustment to technique on my part to accommodate the less narrow nut width and different geometry of a 12 fret to body vs 14 fret of my ff LM-700 but overall I’m very pleased with it.

Despite maxr’s misgivings about the risks of importing an instrument from the USA sight unseen (and indeed mine too) the whole experience has been relatively trouble free - so far!

Thanks again to all for your interest.

Al

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotDoneYet For This Useful Post: