Thread: Identify this British (?) mandolin player is Lilly Selden

Default Identify this British (?) mandolin player is Lilly Selden

A photo c. 1908, or slightly earlier. English. I was wondering if anyone can identify the mandolin maker please. Just curious really. Unless its a trick of the photography, there doesn't appear to be a standard soundhole? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lilly Selden mandolin 1 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	626.1 KB 
ID:	192854  

Default Re: Identify this British (?) mandolin player is Lilly Selden

James, that's really very individualistic, to say the least. I would imagine it was made by an independent luthier but it is possible one of the bigger dealers had it made or possibly imported. I think some of the mandolins sold by Clifford Essex were made in Germany or Bohemia and were finished in London.

It was made by Fred Langham of London. There should be f-holes in the sides. If you look closely near her finger in the photo you can sort of see them. I love the Micky Mouse ears on the headstock.

One sold on eBay in 2013. Seller provided good info:

THIS MANDOLIN HAVE A ORIGINAL BOX WITH A ORIGINAL GUARANTEE WHICH HAVE BEEN SIGNED BY FRED LANGHAM.AND ALSO I FOUND ONE OLD VISIT CARD OF A TEACHER OF MUSIC THAT SAYS: "Lillian R. Alder certified pianist,trinity college,london techer of music"
    AND IT HAVE A BOX WITH ORIGINAL 11 BLACK DIAMOND STRINGS.
    FREDERIK LANGHAM(1877-1947) was born in Clapham, Surrey and out of 9 Falcon Road, Battcrsea, London, S.W., he was initially known as a maker of flat-back mandolins of his own design but he did make a number of banjos and zither-banjos; mainly for other firms, to sell as their own make.

In 1896 he was granted a patent pertaining to zither-banjo construction in conjunction with J E Brewster.

In 1898, in conjunction with Temlett, he took out a patent for a roller-nut but there is no indication how he came to co-operate with Temlett.

However in 1911 at age 34 he was recorded as a Banjo Maker, married with two sons and two daughters, not as an employer but working for others, and living at 25 Khyber Road, Battersea S W.

He died in the late 1940s when Clifford Essex & Son acquired his stock of timber, etc
    Here are some photos from that example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ehld.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	192865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t3ef.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	192868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5qi.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	192864  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0717.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	192866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jli3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	192867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v8t1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	192869  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

This reminds me of the Monzino mandolins from Italy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monzino-mandolin-1.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	192870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monzino-mandolin-2.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	192871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monzino-mandolin-3.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	192872
    Eastman MD-315, Eastman MDO-305, Kentucky KM-150, Calace 1917, Gibson A ~ 1920, Johnson resonator mando

Well done Jim! I searched for "mandolin Mickey Mouse" but just got the mouse himself but in future we may find this post! I posted up a photo of one in this thread below- I knew I had seen one like it but the old grey matter is now atrophying!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-this-mandolin

This is clearly of the London School of early 20th C mandolin making, with JE Dallas and Clifford Essex the best known, but also including Wilmshurst and La Foley. The description of Fred Langham's business supplying other makers/ brands could point to Langham as the originator of this style which was then adapted and modified to be sold by the more well-known companies, those who had London retail outlets.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

This is a good web site on British makers—Vintage Banjo Maker—obviously focusing on banjo, but including those that also made or sold mandolins. There used to be huge site called something like British Banjo Makers, now defunct. But I copied all the info from it for my files. It looks like all that info is in the linked site above.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It was made by Fred Langham of London. There should be f-holes in the sides. If you look closely near her finger in the photo you can sort of see them. I love the Micky Mouse ears on the headstock...
    What took you so long and how come you don't have a catalog page for this?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank you everyone, especially Jim Garber of course. I did look at the sides, but couldn't get past the reflection of her dress, but now it's clear! I wonder if Langham made guitars? I'll do some digging. I do have an unlabelled mandolin, I think it's by Angelo Mannello, but a second opinion would be good. I'll post it when I have time.