Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hide glue question

Default Re: Hide glue question

Gary, the differences in glues are actually more subtle than discussions like these can make it appear. Good joints are more important. In other words, whether you use AR or hide glue, If your joints are of high quality and fit well, if your gluing and clamping techniques are good, it will be fine.
    Discussions like this tend to be of interest to long time builders who have formed their opinions and to newer builders who are still forming their opinions, but discussions like this can lead to overthinking the situation. Do good work, use good glue and all will be well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Overthink anything - not me. I'm certified OCD.

Thanks for the clarification.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Gary, the differences in glues are actually more subtle than discussions like these can make it appear. Good joints are more important. In other words, whether you use AR or hide glue, If your joints are of high quality and fit well, if your gluing and clamping techniques are good, it will be fine.
    Discussions like this tend to be of interest to long time builders who have formed their opinions and to newer builders who are still forming their opinions, but discussions like this can lead to overthinking the situation. Do good work, use good glue and all will be well.
    Isn't this board filled with over thnkers? Some of you all just did it sooner than others! hahaha
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Adrian Minarovic

Most good wood glues are fully adequate for making instrument. If you take case of the instrument it will live long life.
    HHG just offers the few extra advantages that you don't see easily or everyday. Builders see a lot of broken or damaged instruments so thay have different database of failures than common musician.
    A friend visited me today and told me of his small guitar that he stored too close to fireplace and the bridge is now slightly lifted. Probably wouldn't happen with HHG and if that happens you could repair lift by simply injecting some new HHG and clamping.
    Adrian

Thanks again y'all. I'm feeling better about all this now. Not completely comfortable, but better.

Gary

Out of curiosity what hide glue are you all buying? I do not want pre-mixed just some good dry flakes. My old can isn't going to last much longer.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Out of curiosity what hide glue are you all buying? I do not want pre-mixed just some good dry flakes. My old can isn't going to last much longer.
    I'm not in US so my sources are different from most folks here. I bught my granules at local art store. Thay have a huge bag and painters don't buy it too often. They use it as base for some special paints or bases. It is not graded or super clean variety that you can buy from some places but it is the old school regular hide glue just like my grandfather used, light tan brown to yellow and slightly translucent and with typical hide glue smell. The gram strength would be around 190 (aproximating from my typical mixing ratio od 1:2 for optimal viscosity).
    Adrian

9. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

I'm still using the bag I got from Luthier's Merc a couple of decades ago. A bit longer shelf life than Titebond

11. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

I bought a 40 (IIRC) pound sack directly from Milligan and Higgins several years ago so I have a lifetime supply from the same source and same batch, and each time I mix a batch to use it is the same. 190 gram strength high clarity.
    BTW, I got the idea to do so from Frank Ford. If you haven't read the info on hide glue that Frank has on his website, do so! You can start here.

13. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I don't think I'll ever need to buy hide glue again, I'm still going through my initial bag plus a friend gave me a bag!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

As a mandolin builder and repairman, I use about six ounces of hot hide glue per year....

As a double bass builder and repairman, I go through about 3-4 pounds a year!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

How long do y'all keep prepared HHG? I keep it in the fridge between gluing sessions.
    Bryan Patrick

It sort of depends. I mix small batches because I'm not working at a production pace and sometimes I don't use glue for a while. If it sits a couple weeks but still appears fine I'll still use it for non-critical things, but if I'm gluing center seams, tops/backs to rims, neck joints or other critical things, I make a fresh batch if the glue in my glue pot is over 5 or 6 days old.
    If a spot of mold shows up or any other sign of deterioration appear, I dump it out and start over with a new batch after cleaning the whole glue pot and associated equipment.

18. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

John: Thanks! I've been using similar methods with HHG. I'm always leery of using glue that's a week or two old for anything critical.
    Bryan Patrick

Adrian Minarovic

You keep your glue in the pot for so long out in the workshop or you refrgerate the pot between uses?
    I'm not using it every day so I always mix new batch, but my batches are sometimes something like teaspoon of glue when I'm doing just something small. Very few times I kept glue overnight (in a refrigerator) mostly beacuse I didn' manage to prepare the clamping procedure before I had to go to dinner.
    Adrian

I mix small batches in a plastic squeeze bottle. I heat the squeeze bottle in the glue pot and put the bottle in the fridge when done. Using a squeeze bottle is a great aid in applying the glue quickly.
    Bryan Patrick

I have a glue question for anyone with knowledge of glue used by Martin. I have a d35 and the bindings on each side of the sound hole keep letting go. I called Martin and they told me to take it to a Martin guitar repair centre for warranty reasons. ( life time) original owner. So i did only to find about a year later they both let go again. Not happy and no knowledge of different glue types I re glued them myself with yellow standard wood glue and they have stayed glued for years with no adverse effects. Was this a good idea or will i regret that move later if the bindings need to come apart. LEDBAILEY

Those Martin bindings, especially D-35s for some reason, shrink and that is why they pull loose at the waist. The shrinking bindings are "trying" to straighten the curve. In order to glue them back long term I stretch them with heat before gluing. In fact, I overstretch them slightly so that they sort of force themselves into position.
    As it turns out, standard yellow wood glue works pretty well holding them in place, if they are long enough to fit comfortably in the waist of the guitar. When bindings pull loose they generally take some wood fibers with them, and those wood fibers on the surface of the plastic help to improve the adhesion of wood glue to the bindings.
    The last Martin I had to re-glue had loose binding nearly all the way around and the owner's father thought he was helping out by attempting to glue them back with Gorilla glue. By comparison, you did little to no damage by using yellow glue.