Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any lazy way to off a bunch of instruments?

Default Any lazy way to off a bunch of instruments?

I am getting ready to move from San Jose to Knoxville (bluegrass central, this could be a good thing for a mando player, too bad I can't play Bluegrass up to speed very well :-) ).

I have a bunch of instruments I don't play any more and I have procrastinated selling them for years. I have two Eastman F holes (315 and 515) that need to go, a Red Valley flattop, a Trinity College OM, and maybe a few others including a guitar or two. All of them are budget instruments like that, nothing high-end.

I am way too lazy to sell them all myself, I would love to pay someone else to sell them for me. I suppose I could put them all on craigslist for $1 each, that might do it.

Maybe I could "donate" them to Gryphon for $1, they might take them at that price. :-)

Anybody have any ideas on how to handle this?

Edit: typo they are Eastman 305 and 605SB respectively, I should have just read my sig.
    Last edited by kurth83; Mar-17-2021 at 10:09pm.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Default Re: Any lazy way to off a bunch of instruments?

Maybe Gryphon would take them on consignment?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

For $1 each, you won't have any problem getting rid of them......maybe I don't understand your sense of humor?

There are charities that redistribute instruments. There's a recent thread about one for vets, if you're in the USA. Check out your local scene. Who knows, they might even give you that dollar if you really want it.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

I don’t know the situation on your side of the country, but over here the local music store is practically begging people to sell, trade, or consign their used stuff just so that they have stock to sell. They say it’s really getting hard for them to get new instruments from their suppliers. Their Martin rep said they wouldn’t get instruments ordered now until March 2022. Of course they are mostly a guitar place, you have mandolin family so not as easily sold. But again, consigning at a shop like Gryphon might be your ticket. If you have a Music Go Round near you they’ll buy just about anything. The down side is they’ll only give you 50% or maybe a little more of market value so that there is meat on the bone for them when they re-sell it. But it’s cash on the barrel head, no consigning.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

No one lazier than me about selling stuff. We give it away. Several years ago we had to relocate quickly for my wife's career. I was not about to advertise all my non-essential gear - amps, drums, electric axes, guitars, banjos, accordions, kayaks, bikes, skis - nor even move it down the street to my local shop. I called some friends and they hauled it away - what they didn't take I gave to the neighbors. My double bass went to the Folk Society.

I still have too much.

I downsized a couple of years ago (geez, almost 3 now), and lost my music room. I gave away a Kentucky 675S to a friend’s son I like and who’s into it. I gave a squire strat I won at a hospice fundraiser to a friend trying to get into it. I sold my flatiron 1N and Eastman 315 on consignment at Lowe Vintage, and I sold my Taylor 714 to Guitar Center for what Lowe would have given me as a trade in or consignment (It almost sold there a couple of times, but the buyers backed out, and I needed it for a church service just before shutdown, and GC was closer and easy). The guys at Lowe were great, and I’m busy with my job and didn’t want to deal with tire kickers, etc, so the financial hit was worth it.

Depending on when you bought the Eastman relative to their price hike, you may actually make some cash. I bought mine on clearance for 429 before their increase, and sold it for a fair amount more...

And, yes, there are some charitable options if you Google...

Two “projects” also found their ay to a fire pit...
    Chuck

Dave Sheets

There used to be people around who would sell things for you on ebay or craigslist for percentage of the selling price. Might be someone like that around who would want the work.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

If Gryphon won't take 'em, try a Guitar Center.

If I were local I'd take 'em, sell 'em, and take a percentage ... but I'm not local and you probably won't want to ship them to me.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Is there a school near you with an Americana ensemble in their music department? The instruments you list would be likely be way better than what they have.

I'd call Gryphon first and see if they'd be interested in handling any or all of those before driving up there. As a heads-up, they have raised their consignment fee to 30% because they have been getting lots of people interested in culling --- and probably some who are forced to do so to cover bills these days. However, they may drop that percentage a little if they take most or all of your herd. They also might be more interested if you tell them to price the instruments so that they'll move quickly and won't take up wall space for long.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Guitar Center pays 60% of their published used prices, which you can lookup online before you go there. No consignment, they pay cash if it is under $500, if it is over they write you a check. Takes about 20 minutes and you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    There are charities that redistribute instruments. There's a recent thread about one for vets, if you're in the USA. Check out your local scene. Who knows, they might even give you that dollar if you really want it.
    #1 for vets’ groups.

15. The following members say thank you to Ranger Bob for this post:

How about Guitar Showcase right there in San Jose? Shops are hurting for product. They might buy outright or you can consign.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

#vets

What I do with my excess stuff now is use em for learner/loaner instruments. Prior to covid I kept a wagon full of extra guitars, fiddles, drums etc at our area homeless/veteran's shelter and host jams, give lessons etc.

If you have the space, I suggest getting a large cabinet and stowing away your current extras - if you get into teaching or something those might come in handy.

*oops, oh ya you're moving, never mind. Good luck with your move!
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-17-2021 at 11:47pm.

Local auction house?

There are people in UK and EU that would bite your hand off for those Eastmans if they could get them at a price that would compensate for extra costs of freight, duty, handling and VAT. (typically adds 30-50% on top of US purchase price)

But you would still have to pack them up yourself.

So the only true lazy person's answer to that is if the buyer would have an accomplice near you who would collect from you and do all that for them.
    Bren

Resident Hack

What's your deadline?
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

A few folks have mentioned consigning your instruments with Gryphon. It is my understanding that Gryphon does not do consignments, but will buy your instruments outright. I've sold them about 6 instruments in the last 2 years. I am happy with this arrangement because it is hassle free, but the downside is you won't be making as big a profit if you were to sell them on your own.

I can't figure out where you live. But I know Artichoke Community Music in Portland, Ore., would be delighted to receive a donation. Artichoke is a nonprofit school, music store and performance venue: https://www.artichokemusic.org/

Go consignment if you don't have time to do it. The guys at Gryphon are awesome - I'm sure they'll work with you.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

In my town, there's a community center that has music camp for kids. I've donated several pieces of gear over the years. Maybe there's something like that where you live that would be glad to come pick them up and get them into the hands of the next generation of hot young pickers?
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I am currently working on getting to a point that I have too many instruments. Sadly, I am not there yet

Well the response was overwhelming, all of them were gone within hours.

I also discovered that prices for UPS these days are astronomical.

I wasn't really intending to make an ad the first time, this time I kinda am, I have two violins and a viola that need to go too, and then I am done with the givaway purge.

The models are:
    Yamaha YSV104 - electric violin with bow shaped object.
    Yamaha V7G - student violin with Coda Bow Diamond NX, and Coda Bow Luma
    Scott Cao (15") STA-750E - student viola with Coda Bow Luma (viola bow)

These are roughly $1,000-$1,500 class instruments with roughly $500 bows (two for the violin, none in the electric violin, very much in the student class of violin.

All have hard foam cases of various types.

Instruments are free, shipping isn't.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Very cool. All the joy, good vibes and gratitude you've created. What a seed - giving away music is special