Thread: Warped bridge saddle

Default Warped bridge saddle

I have a warped bridge saddle on a Gibson A2 from 1923. The ebony is striaight all along until you get to the e string portion, which then bows up (i.e. away from the bridge base) about a millimeter. This makes the e strings higher than desired.

Would the best course of action be to heat the wood and then clamp it a flat metal surface while it cools, to flatten it out? With steam or without? I have never tried to bend ebony before.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Default Re: Warped bridge saddle

It doesn't make sense that it would warp up rather than down, but regardless, a simple replacement is the best solution.
    (It would be close to impossible to bend (straighten?) it.)

Thanks, John!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

From Banjohangout:
    “ was recently visiting a guitar manufacturer and talked the one of the luthiers about bending sides. He said they use bending blankets exclusively. He went on to say that they were amazed at what happened to ebony when using the blanket. Long story short, he said when you get it to the right temperature, it becomes like a noodle. Said that moisture alone can't make this happen and that it's really a matter of getting the internal oils hot, not making the board wet. In fact, he said that they don't wet ebony at all to bend it. Now, these are pieces that are about 1/3 the thickness of the pieces in a banjo rim, but I'd think the principles still apply”

Looks like it’s possilbe, but maybe not worth the effort for a little piece. The grain of a bridge is probably the right way around for bending.

The shape and size are what would make it nearly impossible to bend. If it was maple (or other hardwood) I'd be surprised if it bent easily and stayed put afterwards. Add to that the compensation "steps" cut into a mandolin saddle with their inherent stress risers, and... just replace the darned thing!

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post: