Thread: This Gibson

Default This Gibson

https://reverb.com/item/37780139-1981-gibson-f-5l-master-model?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=37780139

I like how the price reduced and shipping went up to almost $700!!! LOL

Good luck to him. I had sent a few questions when it first listed and he halfheartedly answered one of 3. Poor unfortunate Gibby.

Default Re: This Gibson

To a shipping cost of 700.00 , is to cover the selling fee, transfer of funds fee and shipping as well as the sellers handling fee . Then have to wait a week for funds to be put into the account. U.S funds selling is about $ 7100.00 . Its alot. But a seller takes a big hit.

Thanks for the insights. It just seemed like a bit much. Maybe not so. I’ve sold a bunch of guitars before and it’s never gone above $100 for my supplies and shipping. Interesting that it go so much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by withfoam View Post
    Thanks for the insights. It just seemed like a bit much. Maybe not so. I’ve sold a bunch of guitars before and it’s never gone above $100 for my supplies and shipping. Interesting that it go so much higher.
    Chances are it wont sell. Just because of the high shipping cost. But theres always room for making offers.
    I just bought another Harp Guitar. Shipping was 400.00 US size of box was to large for postal shipping. So it had to be shipped by freight. I guess it all depends on how bad you want something and at what cost.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I dunno. I've seen some wild discrepancies in shipping cost, especially on eBay. I get the impression sellers entice you with low item prices, then make up for it with higher shipping costs. That's why I'm very fond of the option to sort through items by Price + Shipping, organizing selections by total expense.

I had a recent experience with something like this that was a bit of a mess. I bought six CDs, which were listed with added $3 or $4 shipping per item. I contacted the seller to see if that was negotiable, since they would all go in one package, not six separate ones. The response was sure, no problem, the adjustment will be made at checkout. Well, it was not. There was an added $22 for shipping. And the actual shipping cost was $5.70. And the seller closed up shop in the meantime like a fly-by-night gypsy. (Russian, but you get the idea.) I contacted eBay, they said contact the seller (as they always do), I said that had become impossible. They ended up refunding the shipping cost themselves as a courtesy for my inconvenience.

I've always looked askance at what seem to be exorbitant shipping costs; this goes a long way to proving that position. It's not completely relevant here, but it does seem the shipping costs are much higher than need be. Financial costs should be included in the price, not shipping. I could understand including insurance in the shipping costs, but the seller's business-related expenses should be part of the price.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

PS: Some of the prices at reverb.com seem a good bit higher than I'd have thought. Just scanning the "other items" listings at the bottom. Like a Flatiron for $4300. Though to be fair, I haven't been pricing new-ish instruments much. I'm vintage-oriented.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

6. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Hopefully when it sells he can figure out how to use Google maps -
    it was made in Kalamazoo Tennessee May 12 of 1981 by rich brown.

A few observations.

He's in Canada, so increased shipping and more red tape to sort through -- even more since Covid restrictions have eliminated some of the cheaper international shipping options. I lost a couple eBay sales due to the shipping quote being higher than pre-Covid. FWIW, the UPS quote to send an electric guitar from USA to Columbia was indeed $715...

Also, seller is not a player or an instrument dealer. He says it is an inherited instrument and that he doesn't play. I also noticed a peghead tuner in some pics, so there may be marks from that, I can't tell. He only describes the condition as very good, even though the pictures make it look better than that, so? Not sure.

There is a USA seller with an 1981 for sale at $8K with $100 shipping, FWIW, nfi.

The old Reverb owned by the local guys at the Chicago Music exchange was sold about 15 months ago for a tremendous price (something around $150 million I believe) & is now owned by a bunch of corporate vultures who put it to sellers in every way possible; hence prices are way up in every area, they no longer pay you via paypal, they completely disregard any original agreements that you made, and you will get an immediate ban for even bringing up the conversation.

Folks have gotten so used to free shipping from the giant companies that they forget how much it costs for small folks to send something. If I ship out an item two states away it may be under $20, but if I have to ship it to the other side of the country it can approach $100 or more.
    Last edited by j. condino; Mar-19-2021 at 10:46pm.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

double post deleted
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Teacher, repair person

Shipping prices are wayyy up.

My cost for shipping an empty guitar case last month from Tennessee to California was $101, USPS ground. Delivery took three weeks. Priority mail would have been $120+. It was packed in a standard guitar shipping box, and weighed 16.05 pounds.

UPS quoted the following prices for the same package: $128 for UPS ground, $255 for 3 day select, $355 for 2nd day air, and $491 for next day air.

This '81 looks to be in pretty nice shape, price seems high to me.

I once inquired to a seller on Ebay who was 20 minutes away, he had an item that was priced below a dollar but the shipping was over a hundred. I asked if local pickup was okay. He promptly changed his asking price and adjusted the shipping.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Well, the first listing has been closed but here's another 1981 F5L with an even higher price:

https://reverb.com/item/37159509-198...ge-pickup-ohsc
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

And a much lower shipping, only $100. And again, in the "Similar Listings" at the bottom, this, even higher. But the shipping - from Japan, no less - is only ~$150.

https://reverb.com/item/25857366-gibson-1981-f-5l

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Those both look to be case queens, so much nicer shape than my '81. I don't know what an average value would be on an '81 or other close years?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    And a much lower shipping, only $100. And again, in the "Similar Listings" at the bottom, this, even higher. But the shipping - from Japan, no less - is only ~$150.
    I think it's probably true that the first seller was trying to recoup all the Reverb fees by adding them to the shipping fee.

Reverb charges 5% to the seller, plus a payment processing fee on top of that. I think all in all the Reverb fees now come to 8.2%. I have prices for stuff on my own web site, but when I list it on Reverb I jack up the sale price, not the shipping fee.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

18. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

As you should. Business expenses belong in the sale price, not shipping.

One would think sellers would know buyers can see or otherwise easily determine the actual shipping costs after delivery, and avoid causing any resultant disagreements.