Thread: Plug for Lessons with Mike Compton

Default Plug for Lessons with Mike Compton

I’m kind of a lesson geek. I’ve tried a bunch that I really enjoyed (ArtistWorks, Peghead Nation & Patrion). I recently signed up for one-on-one Zoom lessons with Mike Compton. We meet just 30 mins every other Thursday evening. He’s been assigning me a tune and I’ve been playing it for him on our next lesson. So far he’s assigned Candy Gal (old Uncle Pen song), East Tennessee Blues, and tonight he gave me one off an album he did with Norman Blake (Gallop to Georgia) called Avalon Blues.

I find myself really looking forward to these lessons! Not just for the lessons but for our conversations. Did you know Hartford wasn’t intentionally buried in a cape? On the album he did with Norman do you know who Narmour & Smith are (they wrote the tunes)?

Priceless conversations with a national treasure for only $100 a month. You folks better sign up before I tell him his prices are too low!
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

2. The following members say thank you to Chris Gray for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Plug for Lessons with Mike Compton

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
    I’m kind of a lesson geek. I’ve tried a bunch that I really enjoyed (ArtistWorks, Peghead Nation & Patrion). I recently signed up for one-on-one Zoom lessons with Mike Compton. We meet just 30 mins every other Thursday evening. He’s been assigning me a tune and I’ve been playing it for him on our next lesson. So far he’s assigned Candy Gal (old Uncle Pen song), East Tennessee Blues, and tonight he gave me one off an album he did with Norman Blake (Gallop to Georgia) called Avalon Blues.

I find myself really looking forward to these lessons! Not just for the lessons but for our conversations. Did you know Hartford wasn’t intentionally buried in a cape? On the album he did with Norman do you know who Narmour & Smith are (they wrote the tunes)?

Priceless conversations with a national treasure for only $100 a month. You folks better sign up before I tell him his prices are too low!

I had some lessons with Mike a few years back. HIghly recommended. He showed me some pre Bluegrass stuff, some of his stuff, and some new chord voicings. It improved my playing immensely. And as you point out, he's a lovely man.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Lewis For This Useful Post:

Enjoy...
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

6. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

You should come to Monroe Camp. You'll get 4 days of non-stop great instruction and jamming with Compton and a bunch of like-minded really friendly people.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic