Thread: Carbon Fiber for an adjustable bridge saddle

Default Carbon Fiber for an adjustable bridge saddle

I have to make another saddle for my adjustable bridge on the GOM I am building to accomodate different strings. Does it make sense to use carbon fiber instead of ebony? It seems it has the correct characteristics. Has anyone done this?
    Bob Schmidt

Default Re: Carbon Fiber for an adjustable bridge saddle

Carbon fiber is very stiff and durable but it is not have particularly strong compressive strength. I think this would tend to make it a poor choice. Also there are health risks. Working with carbon fiber generates particles that much like asbestos enter the lungs and don't come out. They are sharp and cause scarring. Shaping a saddle would involve generating many more particles than cutting reinforcement rods for a neck and takes longer too.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by irishmando View Post
    I have to make another saddle for my adjustable bridge on the GOM I am building to accomodate different strings. Does it make sense to use carbon fiber instead of ebony? It seems it has the correct characteristics. Has anyone done this?
    Other than not being soft or splintery, what sort of characteristics are important?

5. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Teacher, repair person

I've only worked with carbon fiber once. I found it extremely difficult to work, and it kills tools. Ebony will be much easier to work.
    I had not heard of the health risks before, but if you try it, it sounds like a good idea to wear a really good mask.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I’ve made bridge saddles out of black Tusq material and have been very happy with them, especially for livening up overbuilt and heavily lacquered import mandolins. Drawback is that the only place to get that size is directly from the manufacturer.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ward Elliott For This Useful Post:

I use carbon fiber or maple interlocking beams on my bridges.
    In both cases, the beam is .125" / 3.0mm wide and about .375" / 9.0mm tall.

Basically, route a .125" / 3mm groove in a piece of wood and glue in a piece of a pultruded carbon fiber section (or maple prepared from wood selected with the same criteria and grain orientation as a violin bridge). Cheap and easy.

I use them pretty much interchangeably. None have failed. It also keeps the bridge and base in alignment, so the screw threads are only used for height adjustment, instead of having to align the pieces as well.

I have not noticed or measured any tonal characteristics distinctly attributable to this design or material choice. My carbon-fiber beam bridges have the same mass but higher saddle stiffness when compared to a normal Loar-era bridge. The maple-beam ones are a couple grams lighter and a little less stiff. It comes out in the wash.

The only down side is that I have to explain to customers all the time, "Yes, you can adjust your bridge. Yep, I know there's carbon fiber in there. That doesn't make it non-adjustable. Please just try adjusting it, it'll work just like I promised. Nope, it's not magic."

This is an old rendering before I finalized the design, but shows the idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge_v2.0.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	192959

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	971.6 KB 
ID:	192960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	192961

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Good engineering, Marty, and doesn’t look bad either! In a nearby post, the question of a leaning Eastman bridge, more on the treble side, is raised by an OP. Your design takes care of that issue. Also note that you use plain nuts instead of thumbwheels, which I also like since people don’t really need to adjust that frequently, if ever, so there’s no need to make the adjustment visually prominent.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

Yep, adjustable under tension using a small wrench as well. Thumbwheels are the worst. Equal credit goes to David Cohen and Vern Brekke for the idea.

15. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

The qualities I was refering to were light weight and strength. I was not aware of the health issues, at least I would not have thought it worse then fiberglass. The bridge height for one of my GOM's with a straight edge across the frets is 16mm so I was concerned the saddle would be a bit too thin. These are the first bridges I have made, and I had several pieces of ebony chip while cutting the intonation slots, so I thought CF would be a better alternative.
    Bob Schmidt