Thread: Transcriptions/resource website

Default Transcriptions/resource website

Hi all,
    I'm just starting to transcribe for mandolin and I post what I transcribe on my website here: https://www.rossdoesbass.com/transcriptions-copy-1
    I could do with some advice on transcriptions and transcribing, and maybe on some stuff I could transcribe. Thank you everybody, any advice is welcome.
    -Ross
    Just a dude with a mandolin.
    rossdoesbass.com - my website

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Transcriptions/resource website

Quote Originally Posted by Rossjcw View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm just starting to transcribe for mandolin and I post what I transcribe on my website here: https://www.rossdoesbass.com/transcriptions-copy-1
    I could do with some advice on transcriptions and transcribing, and maybe on some stuff I could transcribe. Thank you everybody, any advice is welcome.
    -Ross
    Your tempo indications are a bit odd. In the jig you give the tempo as quarter note= 160
    where dotted quarter note = 107 (or, perhaps, 110) would be more natural. In St Anne's Reel the tempo is give as 120 in 4/4 (to my ears and feet it has a distinct two feel) which is very slow. I checked my own playing (slower than most, I'm sure) ) and found something like 112 in 2/2, i.e., 224 in 4/4. Perhaps you really mean 120 in 2/2?

3. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

Thank you for the feedback, I can see where I've gone wrong with the tempo now, and it has been corrected. I'm really not used to transcribing traditional tunes, so I'm expecting a few mistakes like that, your advice really helped me.
    After examining my own playing, yes I did mean 120 in 2/2 for St.Anne's Reel; 4/4 feels really odd to play.
    As for the jig, I just have no experience there and the advice really helped me get the tempo right.
    Thank you,
    -Rossjcw

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

A few thoughts on transcribing which you may find helpful (or not):

Rip whatever tracks you plan to transcribe from the CD onto your computer.

A file has no moving parts, so your PC media player can let you slow the track down (up to 50%) or speed it up (200%) without changing the pitch. Playback at 75-80% can ease the transcription frustration.

If it is a solo you want to transcribe, learn the melody and chord progression of the tune FIRST. You need to know the tune before you can understand what the soloist has done with it.

Also: If you are working on short 1 or 2 chorus breaks, you can learn a lot by transcribing the solos played by the other instruments (besides the mando). Ages ago, when I was pulling solos of "records" (old style with a reel-to-reel recorder) like Tony Rice Guitar, I wouldn't stop with Larry's solos, but then go on to learn what Tony did with the song/tune.

In 40-year old notebooks, there would be transcribed solos by Doyle Lawson (plus Mike Auldridge's dobro break), Vassar Clements, even Bill Keith (banjo). On the vastly underappreciated first IInd Generation album, I'd learn Gaudreau's mando solos and then go on to learn (and play) selected Eddie Adcock banjo breaks (some of which were really electric Telecaster guitar playing put onto a banjo neck).

It was never just Gaudreau/Skaggs/L. Rice/Dave Swarbrick/Jethro etc. but Clarence White, Richard Thompson, Albert Lee, Jerry Garcia and whatever else grabbed my ear (Billy Pigg - Northumbrian Pipes; Rick Wakeman - keyboard solos on Strawbs albums.)

It was never about playing "mandolin"; it was always about playing whatever I liked! (regardless of source instrument.) Check out some of the tunes on Soundcloud (below).

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

6. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

Thank Niles,
    I'm going to start writing down and transcribing anything I can, I'm new to transcribing and once I finish what I'm working on I think I'm going to start transcribing some Hendrix songs. It will definitely take some practice but I hope to have a decent amount of resources on my website for mandolin by the end of the year.
    I will take every thing you've said in your post into account going forward, especially about learning other instruments parts and transcribing songs/tunes I like for the mandolin.
    Thank you
    -Ross

The formal way to write music sometimes does not match the way you actually would play it ........simply because the phrasing of the actual licks dont coinside or match the timing of the song. A lick might start or end in the middle of the measure rather than where its suppose to end. Tell adam steffey that. So i write my tab in phrases rather than 4/4 measures. With no bars exept for when the phrases end or start.
    I just got done with thile's "when mandolins dream"... It has 6 different parts ...some parts are pretty straight up and you can follow it, but the 3rd part and the 6 th part along with some turn arounds ..... I had to split up some notes because of the way he phrased it. I write it the way its suppossed to be played rather than the formal style.