Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shellac containers?

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Shellac containers?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Just what went bad using the 95%? Solidified l, went rancid smelling, wouldn’t dry? I haven’t ever kept any long enough see the affects? I do now wonder where I could get some 99.9!
    Typically old shellac (or any shellac based spirit varnish) will take long to dry or even stay sticky forever when it goes bad. Folks refer time frame of 6 months or so for safe use of mixed shellac. You need to test it for drying before use. If it dries to touch in reasonable time it is still good.
    The 99.9% stuff is sold as fuel for ventless fireplaces. They are common in EU but banned in many parts of US but you can probably find a supplier in US as well. Here in EU it is considered renewable source (also aded to car fuels) and it's production is supported so it is cheap.
    Here is what I'm using (our local producer, they produce several varieties with small differences of percentage and additives):
    https://www.diplomat-liehovar.sk/e-shop (I use "Bioethanol UNI 100" but the other 100 grade stuff would be very similar)
    Adrian

2. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

I use canning jars as mentioned earlier. I just french polished a project with some that I mixed 6 months ago and it cured quickly with no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    In the US, denatured alcohol is usually methyl alcohol [methanol] with various additives.
    Denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives to make it undrinkable (usually methanol.) Also called methylated spirits, wood spirit, and denatured rectified spirit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol