Thread: anyone play/own instrument from Ian Pattison, canadian luthier

Default anyone play/own instrument from Ian Pattison, canadian luthier

i have an interesting trade offer and the instrument look extremely well crafted. too far away to have hands on, can't find anything on youtube, did find a few articles from canadian events from yrs ago and those relate that he has a high reputation for quality and tone, with a classy low key flair on the aesthetics.

like to hear of anyones experience
    thx
    d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Mar-20-2021 at 4:48pm.

Default Re: anyone play/own instrument from Ian Pattison, canadian luthie

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    i have an interesting trade offer and the instrument look extremely well crafted. too far away to have hands on, can't find anything on youtube, did find a few articles from canadian events from yrs ago and those relate that he has a high reputation for quality and tone, with a classy low key flair on the aesthetics.

like to hear of anyones experience
    thx
    d
    Folkways Music in Waterloo Canada carries his banjos. They are fairly inexpensive, like a Pisgah. You might contact Mark at Folkway and get his take on them. The problem with instruments that are not as well known as other is that it's hard to resell them sometimes, especially on-line because there's no real info out there on them.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Elderly was carrying them last year. Looked like good banjos.

5. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

i did find a website, from the first pictures i saw of the trade offer i envisioned the man had a solid cabinet making background, and it appears so. Sounds like an interesting, diverse, musician with solid woodworking skills. i have saw excellent built instruments with looks that would stop you in your path in the past, and some of them sounded dead. just no real musical tone. I don't think this is the case with this maker, based on a few mentions of his instruments in some articles i found. definitely want to try to find some folks who have had hands on before i move forward on any trade though.

"While attending Roberto Venn I had the pleasure of working beside William Eaton, a teacher at the school", found this in an interview. So appears he went to Roberto Venn. William Eaton is an excellent builder/player of different instruments. He has played on a couple albums with Carlos Nakai and both sound fantastic together.

But i'm not moving into a trade until i hear from some actual owners/players, and i may not do it even then,just checking out the possibilities.

thx
    d

http://pattisonstringedinstruments.com/about/

I've never heard of him, but judging from his website I rather like his approach, and he appears to have good training and experience.

I'd like to try his stuff.
    David A. Gordon

8. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Wow, I'd never heard of this builder but his stuff looks great. Here's a video sample of one of his mandolins I found on his IG page. It sounds great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqkK_nxh..._web_copy_link

10. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post: