Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dialing in live sound-monitors, mics etc

Default Re: Dialing in live sound-monitors, mics etc

Several years back I made a lifetime friend because I was the one person in the audience who was listening. Recently she helped my wife find an appointment for a Covid vaccine. You never know what will happen at a gig. If you enjoy it, play it.

I agree with those who recommend the in-ear monitor, but want to point out that when they say they are expensive, they are talking about the wireless systems that require a transmitter and individual receivers.

I went the in-ear route and use a wired in-ear monitor. Check out the Behringer P2, under $40. It fits on my belt and I run a lightweight cable (thinner than a normal guitar cable) from the P2 to my amp. With only two of you in the band, you can run that cable so that you avoid entanglement.

With an in-ear, you can put one ear bud in and leave the other out so that you can hear both yourself and your musical partner. Works for me very well in a trio.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itor-amplifier

For the mandolin, I use a Schertler Dyn-M condenser mic which produces a very acoustic sound without having to fuss with a pre-amp. The mic requires 48V phantom power, and I have that with my amp.

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/schertler-dyn-m-p48

3. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

If I keep using the mic I have (Beta 57A) on the mando and used a personal monitor like the Behringer B205D on a stand, would this work? Or would feedback be too much of an issue?

I appreciate all the advice but I have an aversion to in-ear anything for some reason personally. Definitely keeping the Behringer P2 in mind however if I ever turn to that route down the road.

Blog Entries

Why not continue using the dynamic mic for the house sound but a pickup for your own monitoring? The JJB contact piezo is very inexpensive.

(Personally I use an undersaddle pickup, careful multi-band EQ, and no microphone. Volume and monitoring not an issue.)
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Question Re: Dialing in live sound-monitors, mics etc

Seeing a lot of Interviews , in the shelter in place lock down months

where those on the laptop camera have wireless ear buds for their monitors

IDK their range , but the regular wired 1/8" TRS plugs ear buds can use an extension cable..
    Go eighth to quarter inch, if you might be inlined to step on it a lot ,,

Note; the Pro bicycle racers put a piece of medical tape across their ear to keep the earpiece for the communication radios in place..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture