Thread: Replacement tuners for a vintage F-4

Default Replacement tuners for a vintage F-4

Anyone know of a brand of replacement tuners that fit a 20's F-4 exactly, without any re-drilling of the tuner post holes? Thanks.

Default Re: Replacement tuners for a vintage F-4

Take a look at these StewMac Golden Age F-style Mandolin Tuners. Maybe they would work on your F-4.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...in-tuners.html
    2021 Ellis A4 Deluxe #537
    1919 Gibson A2 Sheraton Brown #52218

Teacher, repair person

Be careful. The tuners changed in the 20's, and the earlier '20's mandolins have a different post spacing than later '20's. I'm afraid there is no exact date when they changed, so you will have to look your tuners over carefully and make sure you get the ones that will fit your instrument. If you don't get the right ones, they will not operate smoothly, if at all.

So, in addition to Peter's link to Stewmac Golden Age tuners, which will fit the later mandolins; also look at these "Golden Age Restoration Tuners," which are for earlier instruments:

http://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-har...mandolins.html

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I went back and looked and found I had used the "Golden Age Restoration Tuners for A-style Mandolin" for my 1919 Gibson A2. These tuners dropped right in; but, I did have a professional luthier do the work. So please consult with your luthier.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...-mandolin.html
    2021 Ellis A4 Deluxe #537
    1919 Gibson A2 Sheraton Brown #52218

On the same topic but a bit earlier, is there a source for Handel tuners for a 1916 F4? I realize they are not being reproduced but perhaps there is someone who has them.

Hi Jill,

I’ve been following your posting about needing tuners for your F4. I need to ask why they need replacing. If the tuners are missing entirely than you obviously need a set that will fit the existing holes in the headstock, that is the question you posted. The right model of the Golden Age tuners suggested by others are a good choice.

However, if you are having some problem with the existing original tuners it is usually a bad idea to jump to the conclusion that the only answer is to replace them. Society is so used to throwing things out now rather than maintaining or repairing them that replacement is an easy temptation.

Before you give up on the tuners that are original to your F4 and modify your instrument with a modern part, please read through this page from Paul Hostetter (rip). Most tuners can be revived and work for another hundred years. These instructions have been posted several times before, here is the link.

http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html

If your F4 still has its original tuners please post the symptoms and we may be able to help.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

8. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post: