Thread: Against the very slim chance I ruin a relic

Default Against the very slim chance I ruin a relic

I know nothing about mandolins, right up front. I was given this one basically as a throw in when I purchased another instrument on Craigslist, and it had absolutely zero markings on any part of it. Every instinct says it’s a nothing special mando from Sears or Montgomery Ward or whatever, but I’m just not that informed. Before I pull it apart, clean it up, replace tarnished bits, can anyone confirm my suspicion? The only reason I doubt is that it’s clearly been played a ton, and sounds better than I’d expect of something very cheap. Either way it’s always fun to add a new instrument to the collection, and I’ll enjoy playing around on it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pFq3dH2

Default Re: Against the very slim chance I ruin a relic

Quote Originally Posted by IronJeff View Post
    I know nothing about mandolins, right up front. I was given this one basically as a throw in when I purchased another instrument on Craigslist, and it had absolutely zero markings on any part of it. Every instinct says it’s a nothing special mando from Sears or Montgomery Ward or whatever, but I’m just not that informed. Before I pull it apart, clean it up, replace tarnished bits, can anyone confirm my suspicion? The only reason I doubt is that it’s clearly been played a ton, and sounds better than I’d expect of something very cheap. Either way it’s always fun to add a new instrument to the collection, and I’ll enjoy playing around on it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pFq3dH2
    Your instincts are correct. It's a Chicago built entry level mandolin. Have at it. If you mess it up you can get another one off eBay almost daily.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Perfect, thanks!

It's not such a common cheap mandolin as it was not made by Harmony or Kay. I would guess it was made in the 1950s and this one below has also proved to be a mystery. The seller added Stradolin to his list and it might just be a very low end instrument from that maker- the dot markers being a clue to that suggestion.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...kay-1878107456

6. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

It doesn't look to be in that bad shape. You might consider replacing the nut with a bone one and possibly using or making a different bridge. I don't know why you would pull it apart unless it is necessary.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It doesn't look to be in that bad shape. You might consider replacing the nut with a bone one and possibly using or making a different bridge. I don't know why you would pull it apart unless it is necessary.
    I cringed a little at the idea of pulling it apart. It's a cool looking old mandolin as it sits, IMHO.

Don’t worry! I intend to play this! Pull it apart was quick shorthand for replace the strings, lubricate the very stiff tuners, clean the fretboard etc. I’m not planning to break glued joints or anything. I do have another question about the tuners though. Is there supposed to be some sort of bushing around the actual part the string goes through? There seems to be airspace between those pegs and the headstock. On my guitars that would look very strange, but perhaps it’s normal for this instrument?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronJeff For This Useful Post:

Other people know alot more than me, but my Stradolin does not have bushings. I think the lack of bushings can sometimes make them hard to tune because there is play in the way they fit in the holes. A couple of mine were pretty stiff, but better after they were lubricated. The luthier told me that if it got to be too much of a problem, the tuners could be replaced. So far, so good.

The chances are the lack of ferrules/bushings was purely to save a few pennies- many inexpensive mandolins do not have them. You can buy them on eBay- the old sort and they may fit okay without you having to enlarge the hole- which you don't really want to have to do. They are usually sold in packs of six most often- so you have to buy two packs. I would not bother at this stage of your exploration of the instrument. I have bought stuff from this guy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-Vi...6e2f%7Ciid%3A1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

use light gauge strings!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

You can buy the ferrules at Stewmac in singles. Stewmac sells them in different finishes. If your Strad-O-Lin originally came with bushings they probably would have been like these. Your mandolin probably didn't come with them. I generally add these when they come through.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...r-bushing.html

There are different reasons for tuners that are hard to turn. It can be a question of simple adjustment and lubrication or the holes for the posts could have been drilled slightly off. That's pretty common actually. As far as lubrication and maintenance goes, check out the late Paul Hostetter's excellent tuner maintenance page at:

http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber