Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How has the mandolin changed your guitar playing?

Default Re: How has the mandolin changed your guitar playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Hey Jill,

Didn't you have a Herb Taylor tenor guitar for a bit?

Are you playing Irish tunes on guitar, or is it mainly accompaniment?
    Yes, I did have a Herb Taylor tenor guitar for awhile - ended up selling it as I just had too many instruments to bring back home to Ireland with me - it was quite lightly built and would've needed me to order a Calton or similar robust case for it to survive a transatlantic flight in the hold of the plane, so I opted to sell instead. All good though as I'll be getting a secondhand Frank Tate tenor guitar in a few weeks time!

On my six string guitar I've been experimenting with playing trad tunes on it, in fact I wrote my first jig on it recently!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

2. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Resident Hack

Add me to the list of those that set the guitar aside. I played mediocre guitar for decades, before taking up the mandolin. In my current band, I used to switch back and forth. At first only about 3 songs on mandolin but eventually, I just started enjoying it so much I stopped switching back to guitar on any song that didn't require specific licks, sounds or a definitive guitar solo.

Once I realized that I had progressed to the point where I understood the mandolin neck far better than I ever learned guitar, I just didn't want to go back. This month, I transitioned the last 3 solos I had from guitar to mandolin and I don't think they can get me to turn around now.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    I have played guitar for 50 years, mainly bluegrass rhythm while singing. Some flat picking but not my main emphasis. About twenty years ago started playing mandolin and that became my main instrument in time. It took quite a while to loosen my grip with the left hand because playing bluegrass guitar required more down force. Or so I thought. The mandolin requires a much gentler touch and that bad habit took a long time break. In fact I still have to work at it.
    As for guitar I still play, just not as often, and I found my guitar "grip" has loosened considerably. A nice benefit from playing mandolin.
    I’ve also had to learn to loosen up on my grip on mandolin. I still play guitar very aggressively and can’t seem to give it up though. It’s not uncommon for me to bend acoustic strings to the point of breaking them. The mandolin is much less forgiving on all accounts.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Romkey View Post
    I recently got a clawhammer banjo and I’m getting some benefit in my mandolin playing by some additional control over my wrist and forearm, but that’s a different topic.
    But it's a good one! So which one did you pick?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I can play guitar a little, and appreciate great guitarists, but have always been focused on other instruments. A lot of guitarists suffer from Prima Donna syndrome, but usually not the really good ones. These bluegrass players who switch between banjo, guitar and mandolin, killing on all, blow my mind.

That guy playing mandolin

This is sort of an inversion of your question, but this last semester in college I decided to take a guitar class but do it on my mandolin. I got the OK from the teacher, and was all set to go. Turns out, the better part of a year spent teaching myself how to play the mandolin meant that I was more than ready for this absolute beginner guitar class, and I've ended up as the de facto TA, answering questions of the other students and organizing practice sessions. I got much better at chords and strum patterns, and trying to approximate a travis pick with a flat pick has helped my right hand accuracy greatly. Recently I've been learning how to read guitar tab on my mandolin, and let me tell you that is quite a mind workout! Even though I can do it decently enough by this point, after ten or so minutes I'm mentally exhausted.

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

I have played guitar since I was 15. I started mandolin at age 45 and I started violin at 50. Now at 66, mandolin, mandola, and fiddle are my go-to instruments. I do have a couple of guitars, including the first guitar I ever owned, and one quite recent acquisition, but they don't get played anywhere near as much as my mandolin.
    One good thing about learning mandolin is I can read music and now I know the notes on guitar. They are not the same, of course, but the skill to translate printed notation to the fingerboard came from learning mandolin, where it is quite easy to learn, and with practice I got it down on guitar.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... It has and it hasn't. What playing mandolin caused me to do was learn more about music. While solely playing guitar I learned songs and chords for tunes and that was fine. When I picked up mandolin then fiddle I both wanted and needed to learn what worked and why musically. I still play all three instruments regularly with 30 years in on mandolin and coming up on 20 years fiddling and now over 50 years playing guitar. I like to play whatever adds to who and what is being played. It is now easier to "fall in" with a melody and chord structure at a jam because mandolin started me "larnin" about music. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reywas View Post
    This is sort of an inversion of your question, but this last semester in college I decided to take a guitar class but do it on my mandolin. I got the OK from the teacher, and was all set to go. Turns out, the better part of a year spent teaching myself how to play the mandolin meant that I was more than ready for this absolute beginner guitar class, and I've ended up as the de facto TA, answering questions of the other students and organizing practice sessions. I got much better at chords and strum patterns, and trying to approximate a travis pick with a flat pick has helped my right hand accuracy greatly. Recently I've been learning how to read guitar tab on my mandolin, and let me tell you that is quite a mind workout! Even though I can do it decently enough by this point, after ten or so minutes I'm mentally exhausted.
    I think you'll be a natural if you decide to take up mandola!

11. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Reywas 

I'm with you UsuallyPickin on this one. I started guitar in high school, chords and lyrics were fine for years. Then this little mando thing happened and I started really learning about music itself. What an eye opener that has been! Still can't sight read but getting better at understanding and appreciating the whole enchilada.
    Last edited by Dave Wrede; Mar-25-2021 at 9:46am. Reason: Giving props

Playing mandolin has made me a better musician. When I firt picked up mandolin I tried to play songs I knew from guitar on mandolin. Now I find myself taking licks from the mandolin to to guitar and even bass. The tuning if fifths turns on a different part of my brain and helps me not fall into a rut.

If I'm honest I have to admit my mandolin obsession has slightly deteriorated my guitar chops, but having played guitar before picking up the mandolin helped me quite a bit just in the knowledge of chord structure and how stringed instruments work. But I had to learn to not play mandolin like a guitar player. EX: my teacher said I was playing Reggae guitar chop, not Bluegrass Chop. It took me a while to get that one. Now I alternate practices; mandolin one day guitar the next in an effort to be truly bi-instrumental.

Lately I have taken up Japanese Sumi'e ink painting which has really helped my playing of both instruments. Don't ask me why. It's sort of a meditative concentration Zen thing. Plus it satisfies my ADD.

I split my time about evenly between mandolin and guitar. I've noticed that since learning the mandolin I'm much more open to smaller body guitars. I had a GA size before but since have bought an OM, OOO and OO guitars. Also, I have bullet proof calluses as a result of playing mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by OlDanTucker View Post
    ...I had to learn to not play mandolin like a guitar player.
    It was the same for me. At some point I developed the ability to play each like they should be played. I watch a lot of mandolin players on YT and it’s always easy to spot the ones who’ve not made the transition yet.

I'm following the road of UsuallyPickin. I've played guitar for 25 years, toured in a band, etc. and still front a band playing guitar, but the mandolin has made me want to learn music. I picked up the mandolin seriously about a year ago and it's going super well, taking lessons, etc. I've noticed though that so much time on the mandolin has ruined my guitar soloing. lol. The fretboard is so huge compared to the mandolin, especially on my OM-28 acoustic. Really loving the Mando though.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

I'll add myself to the list of those that have all but given up the guitar in favor of the mandolin. I played guitar about 2 years before I found the mandolin. Once in a while at a gig or jam I would have to play guitar so we'd have one, but I very rarely get it out at home. I try to play just enough to not forget how completely...
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

That guy playing mandolin

I'd love to take up a mandola or octave mandolin (hearing Sierra Hull's rich playing really tempts me towards an octave), but for now my budget is such that I'll have to be satisfied with what I've got in my hands.

My guitar stays in its case for years..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

How about plectrums - do you use the same weight for both, or change? I'm now using stiffer plectrums on mandolin than I did on guitar (up to 2mm), should I just stick with that for both?

I seem to always go back to a Fender heavy on mandolin (using rounded shoulder) and a .88 on guitar.

23. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

maxr 

With retirement I've circled back around to bluegrass after focusing on celtic/contra for a long time. This spurred getting a rosewood dread, something I've always wanted, but never afforded myself. Being a long-time mandolin player, I quickly found out the the CT-55 pick is a dandy for flatpicking true medium strings on a dread. A TAD 50 is fine for playing rhythm but the extra 0.005" on the CT puts more body in the notes.

maxr, I know of players who use monster thick picks on both guitar and mandolin, so whatever floats your boat. In my pickticular case, I found that a heavier pick on my dread sounds darker and I lose definition and edge on the wound strings (sounds muddier) My guitar is only an Eastman though, so probably a better guitar would handle even heavier picks.

Caleb- on AGF I commonly see real nice dreads for sale because aging players have developed shoulder/neck issues and need to downsize. I recently discovered Mr Sun and Grant Gordy really gets the job done on an OM. There are some OMs out there with plenty of bass in them. Flatpicking also comes through the mix, pushing the mids out front instead of letting them get lost in the wide waist and deep lower bout. I think if I need to play standing, I would I would get a good OM. I love my new dread but playing it on a strap is very cumbersome for someone as small-bodied as me.

25. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    My guitar stays in its case for years..
    Although I was playing mostly mandolin for much of the last year, for a week or so I've only been playing guitar. It all balances out somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    How about plectrums - do you use the same weight for both, or change? I'm now using stiffer plectrums on mandolin than I did on guitar (up to 2mm), should I just stick with that for both?
    A .73mm Ultex/Ultem sharp point will do for most things on both instruments, but I do use other picks on guitar ( a thicker one for swing stythm, a much thicker one for gypsy jazz), mandolin, and lap steel as needed.

28. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    I've tried picks all the way up to 3.0 mm for both. I've found that a beveled 1.5 mm Gravity Gold pick (made of PEEK) is the best for both. Rounded triangle for mando-family, standard teardrop for my guitars.

Yes, often the same pick, Blue Chip TAD-1R 40. That has been my go to pick on guitar since they first came out. So when starting on mandolin it was the first choice. Often times it still works. Most of the time though it's either a Blue Chip TD35 or equivalent Dunlop on mandolin. Except for the Northfield which seems to sound best with a Wegen TF 140.

Eventually I will play more guitar again. It had gotten to the point I was only playing for old time jams or gigs. And that's just hard to practice when by myself. After 20 years of playing with folks, it's tough to put a CD on and play along to it on guitar. Unless I'm learning a specific tune it's just not something that interests me at this point.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723