Thread: MAS Determination

Exclamation MAS Determination

An adaption of a rule from 'The Cyclists Rules' (from 'The Keepers of The Cog').
    This also works for those of us with a similar affliction on the planet Mando, therefore I have substituted mandolins for bikes.

Rule # 12
    The correct number of mandolin to own is n+1.
    While the minimum number of mandolins one should own is 3, the correct number is n+1, (where n is the number of mandolins currently owned).

This equation may also be re-written as s-1.
    (where s is the number of mandolins owned that would result in separation from your partner).

Default Re: MAS Determination

Right now I am thinking about n+2

I am very intrigued by the octofone that Allen Hopkins told me about in the other thread, and I would love to have an oval hole Stradolin to go with my f hole model.

Unfortunately, I think n+2 ~ s when the acquisitions are made too quickly.

3. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Probably more true for the people who hang out here. There are a lot of folks who are very happy with the number they own, though. Whether it is mandolins or bikes.

It's strange, after my latest shuffling of bikes am still at 2 but now have no immediate plans to change/upgrade from that. Am quite satisfied and am more willing to replace parts rather than bikes at this point.

And Sue - maybe don't search too hard for an oval hole Stradolin. I have a one and it's okay at best. All laminate mahogany. Labeled Stadium, but it's definitely a SOL type instrument.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The correct number of mandolins is also determined by a factor of time - as in how many hours do you have to play them all? My correct number at the moment is 4, and there are only 2 others I would be interested in if I happen to find them at the correct price point. My time factor is about to increase in the next 2-3 years (retirement is in my future eventually,) so the time factor will cease to be a deterrent (although it will decrease the available funds.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Probably more true for the people who hang out here. There are a lot of folks who are very happy with the number they own, though. Whether it is mandolins or bikes.

It's strange, after my latest shuffling of bikes am still at 2 but now have no immediate plans to change/upgrade from that. Am quite satisfied and am more willing to replace parts rather than bikes at this point.

And Sue - maybe don't search too hard for an oval hole Stradolin. I have a one and it's okay at best. All laminate mahogany. Labeled Stadium, but it's definitely a SOL type instrument.

There are a few from long ago on Jake W's site that he found to be pretty awesome. This, for instance. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

So like all things Stradolin, it might depend. The picture in my mind is one that is pretty beat up looking, but still sturdy and good sounding. Like that one Jake had back in 2009. I'm not going to knock myself out looking for it, but if I see it, I'm not going to hesitate, even if there is flak involved

7. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Blog Entries

There is another similarity between cycle space and mando world, IMO.

We acquire additional mandolins and additional bicycles for many reasons. Reasons well documented in all the MAS threads. But for mandolins and if my cyclist friends are any indication, for bicycles too, there is this idea of getting everything perfect. Both worlds have this disease.

Here is my thought. In our mando world and perhaps too in cycle space, the imperfections of our instruments are probably not what is limiting our improvement. And the perfect instrument, or closer to perfect instrument, will not make it any easier to improve.

The second mandolin I ever owned was and is more mandolin than I will ever need. And that is a good number of mandolins ago. And a large number of years ago. Everything I have achieved in my playing could have been achieved with that instrument. Everything I am likely to achieve can be achieved on that mandolin. The second mandolin I ever owned still a far greater instrument than I can play or even appreciate.

So for mandolinning, and for cycling, we probably know what we need to do to get better. And for the most part, better equipment ain't it.

I could be wrong.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Each has a unique purpose.

The everyday player, the fancy gig player, the bar gig player, the camping player, the electric, and their subsequent back ups.

11. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by steve in tampa View Post
    Each has a unique purpose.

The everyday player, the fancy gig player, the bar gig player, the camping player, the electric, and their subsequent back ups.
    That’s how I justified it early on: purely acoustic, A/E, 4 string electric, and resonator. I downsized a couple years ago and sold my camping/travel/beaters then as part of a movement to go “fewer but better.” I may have to get another “beater” at some point, though it’s rare that I play music in hazardous environments. And, sometimes it’s just fun to get a new instrument

I think another aspect is that people who play music by nature have an artistic bent. There is artistic pleasure to be had in looking at and experiencing different instruments. Especially ones that are unique or special in some way (visually and/or aurally).
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Mar-24-2021 at 4:32pm.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I think another aspect is that people who play music by nature have an artistic bent. There is artistic pleasure to be had in looking at and experiencing different instruments. Especially ones that are unique or special in some way (visually and/or aurally).
    Ahh, well that gives a completely different perspective. Both equations may be rendered defunct and redundant if the artisan mandolinista fabricates their own instruments thereby circumventing the problem entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There is another similarity between cycle space and mando world, IMO.

The second mandolin I ever owned was and is more mandolin than I will ever need. And that is a good number of mandolins ago. And a large number of years ago. Everything I have achieved in my playing could have been achieved with that instrument. Everything I am likely to achieve can be achieved on that mandolin. The second mandolin I ever owned still a far greater instrument than I can play or even appreciate.

So for mandolinning, and for cycling, we probably know what we need to do to get better. And for the most part, better equipment ain't it.

I could be wrong.
    I concur wholeheartedly with your sentiments.
    My daily player is;
    1. Not my latest acquisition
    2. Not the prettiest instrument
    3. Not the newest (1928 birth year)
    4. I could have learned (chord melody) years ago on my first instrument, but I wasn't ready then; and now I am.

We live in an analogue world, we are analogue creatures (as are our acoustic instruments). Some instruments resonate (pun intended) with us and some just don't.
    I guess it's a bit like the initial meeting with someone who turns out to be your steadfast friend; you both realised immediately that here was a treasured relationship.
    It would appear to be a one-sided relationship from those outside our sphere; but we know our mandolins don't need to talk to us when they can sing!