Thread: Dobro Mandolin - American Pickers

Default Dobro Mandolin - American Pickers

Hello guys,
    Just wanted to get more info on this Mandolin. What year was it made? I bought this from Antique Archaeology. Mike Wolfe sent me this cool Mandolin on one of his pick. Obviously this instrument is not in any shape of form to be playable, its just going to be a Wall Decor in my collection.

Any info would help.

Thank guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210211-201352_Cinema HD V2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	727.4 KB 
ID:	193041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210218_135816.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	193042  

Default Re: Dobro Mandolin - American Pickers

There’s probably no reason why it couldn’t be made playable. As to further information, a picture of the whole thing, front and back, would be a great help.

Yeah, I saw the American Pickers show where he bought it from the Nashville songwriter lady. As I recall he paid a couple hundred dollars for it, so I hope he didn't charge you a grand.

Most likely date for it is the later 1930's, but it's hard to be more exact because Dobro serial numbers are either not there, or hard to attribute. I have a similar instrument, and the main defect to watch out for, is pitch of the neck. Apparently the neck blocks in these are made of a wood that deforms easily (my repair tech called it "balsa wood," which was an exaggeration -- but you get the idea). and string tension pulls the neck forward.

All the sound from these mandolins comes from the resonator, so take off the cover plate and see what's going on inside. If the bridge and resonator cone are intact, you can get the rest fixed. The one f-hole has been enlarged, but that's not going to affect sound or playability, just its appearance. The bridge saddle insert is usually maple, though yours appears black (ebony?); if that's missing or damaged, it's fairly easily replaced.

The finish is pretty rough, but again, doesn't affect the sound. I'd take it to a good instrument repair shop and get an estimate, before consigning it to "decor only." These are nice little instruments, with a distinctive ringing sound, and were this one mine, I'd take a shot at getting it playable again.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks you guys.

RayT I'll take a photo of the back when I get a chance tonight.

Allen Hopkins. Thanks for the detailed response. Yup He bought from Maggie Vaughn in TN, and NO I did not pay a grand for it, just slightly a little bit more than what they picked it for.

Its on Season 22 Ep 4. Here's the trailer of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxufP0wFIEQ
    You can watch the full episode if you guys have the History Channel or some where to watch their reruns.

5. The following members say thank you to Marlon1211 for this post:

The enlarged f-hole is what George Gruhn would describe as "appears to have rodent damage!" Unfortunately, I have lived long enough to have seen this type of damage more than once with vintage instruments found in barns, basements, attics, etc......cool find, just the same!