Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery generator to run an amp

Default Re: Battery generator to run an amp

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    & the Motor-generator will keep the freezer & Fridge working when the power goes out..

Squirrel to ground ..
    I understand that owners in Texas were doing just that during their power outages.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fhaz View Post
    The one I was looking at has two XLR/1/4-inch combo plugs, plus a third stereo 1/4-inch plug for keyboards (with no tone controls). We plug in the mando with an XLR, the guitar with a 1/4-inch and the cello is usually 1/4-inch (her nicer cello used XLR, but she only plays it indoors). I'm curious how well the guitar or cello would work in that third, line-in input. It'd be nice not to have to get yet another (battery operated) mixer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 3.28.07 PM.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	193067
    Looks nice, I don't think I've seen this, perhaps a newer version? 6AA batteries like the other Streets?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Looks nice, I don't think I've seen this, perhaps a newer version? 6AA batteries like the other Streets?
    8, if memory serves.
    Old Wave #527
    Cervantes Milenia PE
    J. Alvarez classical guitar
    Michael Kelly Legacy-O

"The sound of the mandolin is a very curious sound
    because it's cheerful and melancholy at the same time." -- Rita Dove

4. The following members say thank you to fhaz for this post:

My "outdoors without power" solution is a Fender Amp Can, rechargeable 15w amp with two Hi-Z inputs. I've combined it with a Behringer five-channel mixer, which runs off two 9v batteries (plus an extra one for phantom power), and actually amplified a trio. Amp Can's no longer made, but there are used ones around; I've owned two of them for years -- one's on the charger while the other's out gigging. I use fairly cheapo Low-Z mics with line transformers.

Now –– would I want to handle a wedding with a hundred guests through this set-up, which is fine for busking and playing in the living rooms of seniors' residences, but not provided with much bass response, and hardly capable of filling an amphitheater with full, rich sound? Nah. But it's an option; the Amp Can's sturdy, delivers surprising volume, and only needs its gel rechargeable battery replaced every five years or so. It's a good knockabout solution; may not meet your needs...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

fhaz 

Not an electrician, but it sounds like a good candidate for some kind of ground loop issue. Can you earth the instruments separately?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

A few people have mentioned portable power stations. I did a fair amount research into these last year to have as something to have on hand at the house in the case of an emergency or extended power outage. We have had some issues with extended power outages here. Combined with solar panels they are great to have in a pinch referred to as a "solar generator." In most cases you can expect to pay $1 per watt for you portable power station and $1 per watt for your solar panels (unless you buy something fancy and portable) and $30 or so for any necessary additional cable or connectors. Jackery is one of the market leaders in this technology and makes a great line of Power Stations and portable solar panels that range from the 100w range up to the new models this year that are 1500w and 2000w. They are really good quality and off a great deal of different means of charging them and can power a wide variety of stuff! I ended up with a 1000w Powers Station and a couple of 100w panels that I have available if my household is ever in need.

When I read the OP, I my immediate thought was of one of these little Gems used to power your set up!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

9. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

fhaz 

Using a car battery to run AC amps the device in between is an Inverter ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice. Here's how I ultimately solved the problem:

I ran a lamp-cord wire (12 or 14 gauge) from a screw in the Rockpals 250w lithium ion generator to the two-prong-plug Mackie mixer. That got rid of the loud hum in the Bose L1 Compact, but introduced this horrible spiking sound. I tried more ground wires, but nothing changed. Then I realized the spiking sound was there even when everything on the mixer was turned to 0. So, instead of connecting with a 1/4-speaker cable, I used the XLR input. Problem solved! (I suspect getting a balanced 1/4-inch cord would work as well). We like the sound that comes out of the Bose, so I'm happy.

Again, thanks for all the help. It led to this solution.
    Old Wave #527
    Cervantes Milenia PE
    J. Alvarez classical guitar
    Michael Kelly Legacy-O

"The sound of the mandolin is a very curious sound
    because it's cheerful and melancholy at the same time." -- Rita Dove

You said you use an XLR instead of a speaker 1/4". A speaker cord is not shielded, you may try a guitar cord or any shielded 1/4" cord and see if that works too. Also is the + wire coming from the inverter going to the small prong of the AC cord of the Bose?, It should be.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

13. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

fhaz 

Question Re: Battery generator to run an amp

{Generally} .. XLR is a 3 conductor microphone plug, for a twisted pair of signal wires .
    with the 3rd conductor is the braided shield wires .. that help fight RFI by being grounded (on both devices hopefully)

A 1/4" TRS plug uses the same cable , tip and ring are the signal & return that twisted pair..
    where a guitar/instrument cable has one wire and the braided shield is the minus/return wire ..

so less RFI Rejection..

FWIW..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

15. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

fhaz 

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    {Generally} .. XLR is a 3 conductor microphone plug, for a twisted pair of signal wires .
    with the 3rd conductor is the braided shield wires .. that help fight RFI by being grounded (on both devices hopefully)

A 1/4" TRS plug uses the same cable , tip and ring are the signal & return that twisted pair..
    where a guitar/instrument cable has one wire and the braided shield is the minus/return wire ..

so less RFI Rejection..

FWIW..
    Yes, but a speaker wire which the OP said they used has no shield and will cause noise on it's own.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

17. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

fhaz