Thread: Info on this antique shop mandolin find?

Default Info on this antique shop mandolin find?

Hi all! I'm new to mandolin - bought one yesterday at an antique shop (the tag on it said it was a lute). Looks super old, but I'm not sure HOW old. There are no maker marks on it anywhere. Was hoping someone could tell me how old it is/who makes it. Others have told me it's likely from 1920s-30s Italy, but I wanted a second opinion.

Would love to get it fixed up so I can play it, but I wanted to make sure it's ok to take to a shop for repair/restring. There is a crack near the tuning gear that makes me weary about getting it fixed by the wrong person.

https://imgur.com/a/g0PR01G
    https://imgur.com/hkp90en

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Info on this antique shop mandolin find?

It was most likely built in the US, most likely between 1900 and 1920. The crack doesn't appear to be the biggest issue. Is that an optical illusion or is the fingerboard really that twisted in relation to the top?

Most of the major manufacturers built some instruments without labels so they could be sold by retailers, catalog retailers, schools, teachers, etc. as their own brand.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Might just be an optical illusion in the pics

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It was built in the US, most likely between 1900 and 1920. The crack doesn't appear to be the biggest issue. Is that an optical illusion or is the fingerboard really that twisted in relation to the top?
    I agree with Mike, made in US. Either the fretboard is twisted or there is some warpage on the top. A luthier should check for loose braces and, of course, cracks. It has been around the block quite a few times but possibly could be made playable. String with ultralight strings. GHS A240s are a good inexpensive string to start.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I agree with Mike, made in US. Either the fretboard is twisted or there is some warpage on the top. A luthier should check for loose braces and, of course, cracks. It has been around the block quite a few times but possibly could be made playable. String with ultralight strings. GHS A240s are a good inexpensive string to start.
    Any luthiers you recommend in the area? I see you're in Westchester (I'm on Long Island).

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

You might try Lark St. Music, just over the GW Bridge in Teaneck, NJ. (Closed Saturdays but open Sundays). NFI.

Not to be a downer but: Be aware that few luthiers get excited about working on typical bowlbacks; they're difficult to disassemble, and the cost of the work will likely exceed the value of the instrument.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I would start with just restringing it with something light as suggested and give it a test drive.