Thread: Mandolin Players in Los Angeles

Default Mandolin Players in Los Angeles

Hi All,

A student of mine is living in the Los Angeles area and is looking for other mandolin folk to play with.

I’m also looking to find former members of the Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra for her to connect with.

Joshua Bell

2. The following members say thank you to JoshuaBell for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Players in Los Angeles

While we're waiting for LA mandolinists to chime in (there are plenty) ...

I took a quick search on "LA Mandolin Orchestra," not having heard of one, and found this site, which sort of confirms that: https://www.mandoisland.com/?page_id=3515

It does mention New Expression MO, in San Diego, and I've also seen references to a separate San Diego MO, not in that website.

Also, McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica is a nexus for the acoustic community in the area.

Good luck!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

If it's classical / orchestra mando being sought, farther south we have the San Diego Mandolin Orchestra:
    https://www.sandiegomandolinorchestra.org/

...and the CMSA convention will be in San Diego this year, Nov 10-14, 2021
    https://classicalmandolinsociety.org...msa-convention

For bluegrass, Summergrass north of San Diego is August 20-22. A good place to meet musicians from both LA and SD:
    https://summergrass.net/

Tom

Private message sent to Joshua
    Patrick Melly

I'm sorry, but you aren't Joshua David Bell, are you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaBell View Post
    Hi All,

A student of mine is living in the Los Angeles area and is looking for other mandolin folk to play with.

I’m also looking to find former members of the Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra for her to connect with.

Joshua Bell
    An important question in the Southern California area -- What genre is she particularly interested in? There are lots of mandolinists and quite a broad variety of genre to select from.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Dave Berry

I'd suggest Evan Marshall. He can play anything on the mandolin. I am also curious if this is JD Bell.

https://evanjmarshall.com
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Gentlemen ...

Let's assume so. But let's also assume, he's not here for chit-chat. I believe it's safe to assume that someone who has been a member for nearly four years does not make his first post in all that time because he is eager to indulge in conversation with strangers. He did so on behalf of a student of his, and I'll wager he debated whether or not to do so - and in the end, his concern for his student's benefit won out over his own concerns about his privacy. So let's respect that. That seems the best approach to me.

Also, I think it's safe to assume someone as busy as Evan Marshall isn't likely to have time to devote to picking parties and jam sessions.

Now, as to the original query ... I just did a quick advanced search of the member list, which turned up 75 members who use "Los Angeles" as their location. That does not include members who live in neighboring or nearby or even regional locations, and of course not those who live in the area but do not list their locations. Of the members listed in this search, only a handful appear to be very active, so it appears this analysis won't be very helpful. But it's a reasonable assumption (boy, this is a lot of guesswork) that there would be well over 100 members in the general vicinity. And of course, there must be plenty more mandolinists who aren't members. Question is, how to get in touch with them? Starting this thread was a good first step; I'm just surprised it hasn't gotten much feedback.

I don't live anywhere near LA, either one. I'm still thinking about how to help with this, but my capabilities are limited.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Dave Berry

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Gentlemen ...

Let's assume so. But let's also assume, he's not here for chit-chat. I believe it's safe to assume that someone who has been a member for nearly four years does not make his first post in all that time because he is eager to indulge in conversation with strangers. He did so on behalf of a student of his, and I'll wager he debated whether or not to do so - and in the end, his concern for his student's benefit won out over his own concerns about his privacy. So let's respect that. That seems the best approach to me.

Also, I think it's safe to assume someone as busy as Evan Marshall isn't likely to have time to devote to picking parties and jam sessions.

Now, as to the original query ... I just did a quick advanced search of the member list, which turned up 75 members who use "Los Angeles" as their location. That does not include members who live in neighboring or nearby or even regional locations, and of course not those who live in the area but do not list their locations. Of the members listed in this search, only a handful appear to be very active, so it appears this analysis won't be very helpful. But it's a reasonable assumption (boy, this is a lot of guesswork) that there would be well over 100 members in the general vicinity. And of course, there must be plenty more mandolinists who aren't members. Question is, how to get in touch with them? Starting this thread was a good first step; I'm just surprised it hasn't gotten much feedback.

I don't live anywhere near LA, either one. I'm still thinking about how to help with this, but my capabilities are limited.
    my apologies, I didn't read the q very well thinking it was asking for an instructor, something that is happening way to often these days.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

12. The following members say thank you to tuhker for this post:

I was a member of this orchestra for a short period probably in the early 80's, but I no longer live in the area so can't heip I do remember that we had concerts and made a record.
    I found this article https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...314-story.html

I will be seeing the conductor of the (former?) LA Mandolin Orchestra on Dec. 11, and I plan to ask him the current status of the orchestra. I hope he can point me toward where I can find a current like-minded group.

Scott Gates is in that area (Tustin I believe) and he's a beast of a player.

If it's just to play with others, the California bluegrass association is pretty active there / nearby depending how far they want to travel etc. If that's of interest I can connect you to Danny Clark who knows everybody in CBA - great dude.

For classical stuff, I'm at a loss there. I would think the mandolin orchestra would be a good start though