Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headstock drilling jig.

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Headstock drilling jig.

I've always measured the spacing of holes with ruler and an awl. Then used spur bit to drill the holes the awl hole leads it safely and there is always tiny amount of reaming allowing to adjust direction of the hole when drilled freehand but I usually visit my friend with drillpress for this.
    Adrian

Better mourning the saw than the fingers, Mike.
    The Shop Fox thing and its kin are very much in the mode of the old ShopSmiith, with similar drawbacks. Constant change of setup combined with capacity limits. The mill/drill spindle is rather close to the chuck and it turns out that the chuck doesn’t remove in the normal way, and leaves the backplate. It’s also a change gear threading device, which is not really awkward unless you need to do something in a hurry. The idea of using the lathe compound as a mill table is cute, but very, very limiting. Primary tapers are MT-3, which is oddly large for a small machine, but the spindle bore is small. Etc.
    But many hobby people have lived decades with the ShopSmith; others leave them at the curb.

I’m just going to use the drill jig.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Better mourning the saw than the fingers, Mike.
    The Shop Fox thing and its kin are very much in the mode of the old ShopSmiith, with similar drawbacks. Constant change of setup combined with capacity limits. The mill/drill spindle is rather close to the chuck and it turns out that the chuck doesn’t remove in the normal way, and leaves the backplate. It’s also a change gear threading device, which is not really awkward unless you need to do something in a hurry. The idea of using the lathe compound as a mill table is cute, but very, very limiting. Primary tapers are MT-3, which is oddly large for a small machine, but the spindle bore is small. Etc.
    But many hobby people have lived decades with the ShopSmith; others leave them at the curb.
    You really should do some research before you answer questions. It's a pretty full line of single use machines imported by Grizzly. Feel free to take a look.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=shopfox
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You really should do some research before you answer questions. It's a pretty full line of single use machines imported by Grizzly. Feel free to take a look.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=shopfox
    I looked at his reply and can see the drawbacks he is talking about in reference to the multi lathe/mill machines. I don't see any misinformation in the reply and the opinion is from his point of view. We weren't discussing the other items in the lineup. Grizzly does have some other dedicated machines that run well by all accounts. My knowledge of the metal mill and lathe machines is severely limited. Years and years of school about wood I never ever took a metalworking class. I am under the impression they are much more accurate than the standard woodworking machines plus from my pov I could use them for metal as well. I have some projects where that could be a benifit. Which is why I asked about them. I appreciate all the replies thanks, everyone!

Grizzly/ShopFox doesn't make any machines that are anywhere near the ShopSmith genre. It's not a question of opinion. Shopsmith makes these bizarre all-in-one groups of machines that contain multiple machines in one.

Shopsmith MARK 7 -- Delivers 7 Tool Functions • Table Saw • Lathe • Disc Sander • Drill Press • Router • Shaper • Horizontal Boring Machine
    Shopsmith Mark V -- Delivers 5 Tool Functions • Table Saw • Lathe • Disc Sander • Drill Press • Horizontal Boring Machine
    https://www.shopsmith.com/
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I sure chuckled when I saw Grizzlys re-branding of there import stuff with the "South Bend" name.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    I sure chuckled when I saw Grizzlys re-branding of there import stuff with the "South Bend" name.
    That I haven't seen. I have seen some questionable branding on Harbor Freight stuff.

Yup, there it is.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(ca...2South+Bend%22)

That's not that much different than the musical instrument world where all you have to do is find an inactive name that was once popular and grab it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Grizzly/ShopFox doesn't make any machines that are anywhere near the ShopSmith genre. It's not a question of opinion. Shopsmith makes these bizarre all-in-one groups of machines that contain multiple machines in one. https://www.shopsmith.com/
    I never felt like anyone was saying that. I took the comment as a slight reference to multipurpose machines and the give and take having such. This was in reference to my question about the lathe mill. I understand there to be given and take in such a form so the question becomes is it a give and take I can live with. Maybe I'm not reading his reply correctly but that was how I took it.

Apparently Grizzly bought the brand name. I found that information of a woodworking forum. I missed that totally but I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the product in recent years. Until my table saw bought the bullet I pretty much had everything I needed.

https://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2021/main?p=21

From a Grizzly source:

South Bend is a line of very high end Woodworking machines, often with features not available on other similar machines. For example, the edge-sander has a variable speed, we believe a first in the industry. Certainly not a gimmick as it is very functional. The jointers have a large emergency knee stop, besides the normal control panel stop. Many other components are different.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Mar-30-2021 at 8:49am.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I never felt like anyone was saying that. I took the comment as a slight reference to multipurpose machines and the give and take having such. This was in reference to my question about the lathe mill. I understand there to be given and take in such a form so the question becomes is it a give and take I can live with. Maybe I'm not reading his reply correctly but that was how I took it.
    "The Shop Fox thing and its kin are very much in the mode of the old ShopSmiith"

Sorry, it is what it is. They aren't the same.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Grizzly has always ben a joke in every woodworling shop I have been around. I have been around several machine shops too. Machinists have no humor what so ever regarding Grizzly. Has any one ever played one of the president of Grizzlys guitars?

13. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

"The Shop Fox thing and its kin are very much in the mode of the old ShopSmiith"

Sorry, it is what it is. They aren't the same.
    I feel like we aren't on the same page this time. No biggie. Multi machines have trade-offs over dedicated machines is what I'm getting at all comparisons aside. I do not know enough to know if I am ok with the trade-offs or not. Might be fine for my uses or it might not. I need to learn more before I can make any decision. What I can and can't do with them, and what I could use them for if I had them.

Richard500 answered some of my questions about metal machines and combo machines. I'm good to go.

Seems at this point I will just use a jig, it is way less expensive and far easier to store. Thanks, everyone!

Now I'm picking up 300bdft of 4/4 +1/8 ruff sawn cherry so I'll be busy for awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Now I'm picking up 300bdft of 4/4 +1/8 ruff sawn cherry so I'll be busy for awhile!
    I'm jealous. I'm just fighting with building a table extension on my new saw.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm jealous. I'm just fighting with building a table extension on my new saw.
    Nice! I don't have a great table saw. Picked up a cheap Ryobi many many years ago but it still cuts. I have a maple butcher block 8' long that will be turned into my outfeed! Leveling can be a pain but patience pays off! I actually ordered this wood in late January early Feb and it just got out of the kiln a couple of weeks ago. I ordered based on the mill's price list. They have since changed their price list when they realized the 4/4 and 8/4 could be sold for much more. Glad I got it when I did. I wish I had access to the timer I grew up in Iowa. SD is sadly devoid of forests and lumber gets really expensive. It's pushing me to harvest my own in Mn and haul it back.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Bertotti For This Useful Post:

If it's any help here's some mods I did to my Stew-Mac jig. Cut it so I could see to align it with the lines I had drawn on the peghead, scored the centers of the holes all around to align to the guidelines and had the nip on the pin guide made so It would positively lock it in to a pilot hole. I had some problems with it slipping on some of the first uses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	193201  
    Last edited by Jim Hilburn; Mar-30-2021 at 12:11pm.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post:

Grizzly has always ben a joke in every woodworling shop I have been around. I have been around several machine shops too. Machinists have no humor what so ever regarding Grizzly. Has any one ever played one of the president of Grizzlys guitars?
    Glad to hear that. They sell more saws now than probably any other larger maker. I had one for 30 years, it was excellent but what do I know, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in this conversation that has owned a Grizzly saw. The only reason I don't have a new one now is that I'm finally looking forward and down sizing and I just can't justify the price. The newer stuff from Delta isn't what it used to be but I bought one, it will have to do for what I use it for. Delta is now owned by a Chinese company. Not everyone is in a production environment. The shop that bought my broken saw is a production shop and he was willing to spend the money for the motor repair, I was not. At this point in life I don't need a 400 pound plus table saw.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I bought the Grizzly edge sander because the price was ridiculous but it showed in the quality. Still useful but far from a precise tool.

ShopFox is a brand name owned by Grizzly. My Grizzly table saw that I bought in 1989 went south on me in December and I'm still mourning the loss.
    Odd that you want to brag about your dead saw. My Delta is from 1958, all original & functions like new.

23. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

Bragging about a dead saw? Not at all, I'm not happy about it. If I'd owned a Unisaw from 1958 that had gone south I still wouldn't be buying another one or paying to have it fixed. Not everyone lives in your world.

I see your argument to be no different than anyone that looks down their nose at someone that can't afford to buy a Gibson mandolin and is forced to play an Eastman or god forbid a Kentucky. Enjoy your saw.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Well....old Unisaws may be one of the most reliable, easily rebuilt power tools ever made.

I have two tablesaws- a 1946 Unisaw with all of the original art deco goodies that I got for under $100 from an old guy six blocks from my house and a new Sawstop that cost more than my truck. I use them both equally, but if I had to chose just one, I'd likely go with the old Uni...
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

26. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I bought the Grizzly edge sander because the price was ridiculous but it showed in the quality. Still useful but far from a precise tool.
    And there you have it. Sometimes people buy things that don't work in their environment and somebody else would find it acceptable in theirs. I use what I have to accomplish what I need to.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

While I have all the tool gurus here does anyone have any idea what a set of HTC Roller tables 66"x15" are worth? I apparently thought I needed those 30 years ago when I bought them and I think I've used them twice. They are heavy adjustable units and I'm assuming someone still sells them. I've been out of touch for while on these. They've been hanging on the wall of the shop for years.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I agree with James. used Unisaws are relatively easy to find.
    I've owned 3 or 4, kept all my favorite parts: cast iron 50's base, 50's table mechanism and housing, modern magnetic starter and single phase motor, put in new bearings, new belts, Unifence...
    Totally reliable and accurate. One doesn't have to do all that, however. Usually a good set up is all the saw needs when bought used as is, and sometimes at auction the price is good as well.

Let's see now... what was this thread about??

30. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Some of us just want to ride in the airplane we don't want to fly it. I make my living keeping a network at an insurance company running that up until 12/31/2020 was paying workers compensation payments to people who were injured using industrial machinery. Now we are just paying out environmental mass tort claims. I don't have a desire to find an older machine and bring it back to life. If I did I would have brought the one I owned back to life. My use is more for things to keep some houses from falling down including my own and to make things for my grandkids. I will also speculate that the vast majority of the folks here that do own any equipment aren't at the same tool level as the people building instruments for a living. It's a different world. But, there is a person out there with a contractor saw that is building their first guitar or mandolin and will do just fine without a Unisaw.

The thread was about a headstock drilling jig. I bought one of those years back as well.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber