Thread: Wienman F-5

Default Wienman F-5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CEF2460-493A-4E33-9315-4C30EEBB1356.jpeg 
Views:	982 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	193114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E890CF07-F437-453C-B10B-0F8EDB0772C4.png 
Views:	1285 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	193113It’s been awhile since I’ve posted here but wanted to share a couple of pics of the new Wienman I ordered and picked up on Thursday. Wes and Will were a pleasure to work with and this one looks, plays, and sounds great! Looking forward to getting to play it in a live setting when things get back to some semblance of normal. I hope everyone is doing well.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joe Parker For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wienman F-5

Congratulations on a beautiful mandolin.

Adam

4. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

Hi Joe...congrats on your beautiful new Wienman! I am a huge fan of Will and Wes and their instruments. So under-rated in my humble view. Thanks for sharing.

6. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Beautiful looking mandolin and congratulations! Would love to hear some sound/video clips if available.

Play it in good health.
    John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

8. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

If it sounds as good as it looks, it's a keeper.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

10. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

A beautiful instrument, Joe! I've never seen one of these in person. Could you compare the build quality with any of the other well-known builders? Thanks.

That's gorgeous!
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

13. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

That's a beauty; Jarrod Walker's Weinman (with Billy Strings) sounds amazing
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

15. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Thanks for all the comments on my new Wienman. I've had it a couple of weeks now and am enjoying playing it more every day. The fit and finish are excellent and it compares favorably with any of the top tier instruments on the market, and I've owned and played many over the last 40 years. Everything about it just looks right and checks all the boxes of what I expect from a pro level instrument. I requested a flat fingerboard with .53 frets and it plays impeccably everywhere up and down the neck. The violin like finish on the neck, which is a standard feature, is a first for me and I absolutely love it! In answer to a previous comment, it definitely sounds as good as it looks to me. That said, it was the sound that I heard coming from Wienman mandolins being played by several professional musicians that prompted me to purchase one for myself. I'm looking forward to playing and hearing this one as it continues to open up. Many thanks to Will and Wes for this exceptional mandolin and their commitment to their craft.

Blog Entries

Nice and Congrats!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I continue to be amazed by the quality of instrument the Wienman team brings to the market. I visited their website yesterday after not being there in a good while. One thought that kept popping up for me as I flipped through the site was " it seems like every person(shy of a couple) who owns a Wienman mando appears to be a professional mandolin player. Yet, it was just pure good fortune that I heard about their mandos here on the cafe. Am I missing something or have people heard about this brand? They sound amazing to my ears. And, nope, I do not have one to sell..lol.

http://www.vintagebydesign.com/media.html

Jerrod Walker can pick a little bit, Dang.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Growth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    Jerrod Walker can pick a little bit, Dang.
    Yes he can and Mr. Ramsey is no slouch either. These sound samples will be a fun listen. Thanks Old Growth!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Absolutely, you are welcome!

Hey all, just a quick update. I've had my Wienman for just a little over a year and it is continuing to open up in all aspects of tone and volume. I'm amazed by how much fun it is to play, thanks in part to the violin like finish on the neck! The fit and finish are incredible and I've had no issues with finish cracks, binding shrinkage, or any changes in the setup, essentially an exceptionally well made instrument with a clear ,beautiful sound all its own! I opted for a flat fingerboard with .053 nickel silver frets and though they are starting to get some wear on them they've held up well. I'm thinking about having them replaced with the larger fret wire to make things a little easier on older fingers but not sure yet. Any advice or comments from those who have switched from smaller frets to the banjo wire are appreciated. I love how balanced the tone is in all positions and it can be heard without having to bear down with a pick. I've tried several different sets of strings including standard phosphor bronze, coated phosphor bronze, monels, silk and steel, silk and bronze, and nickel bronze. Right now I'm really liking the nickel bronze in 11.5 16 26 40 gauges but ,honestly, they all sounded good I just didn't like the feel of some of them and I gravitate to the sets that offer these specific gauges. Ya'll can probably figure out the brand I like but I'll use any brand that sounds good! All that being said it's not hard to tell I'm really happy with this one! I recently re-purchased the Gilchrist Model 5 that I ordered back in 2006, #612, then sold in 2013(dumb move but necessary at the time) and was fortunate to be reunited with it just recently. I don't know where it's been but it was taken great care of and I received it in beautiful condition. I was also fortunate to have Mr. Gilchrist set it up and check it out before returning to Australia earlier this year.> Long story, short version, while I love the Gilchrist for its sound, craftsmanship, and playability, not to mention the sentimental value of being reunited with my dream mandolin, my Wienman also has all those same qualities. Yes, they sound different but, to me, I like them equally. I was pleasantly surprised that the neck profiles and nut widths are very similar, they both have flat fingerboards , same size frets, and full size fingerests, so playing them back to back is very familiar. So, in summary, neither of them is going anywhere and I feel very fortunate and grateful. Is anyone considering their next mandolin? Well, this is my experience only and I have no financial interest in any particular mandolin maker or company. I just wanted to share my story with all the fine folks here on the Mandolin Cafe! I only wish I was able to post a video that would do justice. Hope everyone is doing well, take care.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Parker For This Useful Post:

Attachment 200528

You can see now why I don't post very often! If anyone cares to tell me how to turn this picture around I'd appreciate it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15136EFA-7BA4-4DAF-99C0-878D054F2F90.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	745.0 KB 
ID:	200530  

Hi Joe, Your Wienman is an incredibly beautiful instrument! That one piece back is mesmerizing.

I put the narrow gauge nickel silver wire in one of my earlier builds. It was an oval hole and I was going for that old sound. Well that small wire didn't last too long and also has a shorter bead, so getting the usual level-and-recrown out of it was less successful. I put 0.080" EVO gold in my other f hole mandos and am quite comfortable with the sound and feel of it. So when I refretted the oval, I put the that same wire in it. All of my mandos show almost no signs of wear with 6+ years of play on the the EVO. The wider wire is quite comfortable, especially on slides. Of course, the most important thing is having the setup dialed in, especially the nut slots.

The standard 0.080" "banjo wire" has become quite ubiquitous and is standard equipment with many builders, including many upper tier instruments. Tonewise, if you're playing with any strength, I find it hard to tell the difference. The skinny wire is easier to get a more delicate tone out of, and of course is easier to fret cleanly when you get into the upper frets.

Jescar makes EVO gold in the skinny wire as well, so that could be an option if you wanted to stay with the traditional gauge. It doesn't sound like you're playing enough to warrant stainless steel. BTW, congrats on getting back your Gilchrist! I've been listening to Andy Leftwich lately and he pulls amazing stuff out of a Gil. I've also been playing the same strings as you on my one mando that's just a little thin on the high E, they work well and feel good. Stay well!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Hi Joe, Your Wienman is an incredibly beautiful instrument! That one piece back is mesmerizing.

I put the narrow gauge nickel silver wire in one of my earlier builds. It was an oval hole and I was going for that old sound. Well that small wire didn't last too long and also has a shorter bead, so getting the usual level-and-recrown out of it was less successful. I put 0.080" EVO gold in my other f hole mandos and am quite comfortable with the sound and feel of it. So when I refretted the oval, I put the that same wire in it. All of my mandos show almost no signs of wear with 6+ years of play on the the EVO. The wider wire is quite comfortable, especially on slides. Of course, the most important thing is having the setup dialed in, especially the nut slots.

The standard 0.080" "banjo wire" has become quite ubiquitous and is standard equipment with many builders, including many upper tier instruments. Tonewise, if you're playing with any strength, I find it hard to tell the difference. The skinny wire is easier to get a more delicate tone out of, and of course is easier to fret cleanly when you get into the upper frets.

Jescar makes EVO gold in the skinny wire as well, so that could be an option if you wanted to stay with the traditional gauge. It doesn't sound like you're playing enough to warrant stainless steel. BTW, congrats on getting back your Gilchrist! I've been listening to Andy Leftwich lately and he pulls amazing stuff out of a Gil. I've also been playing the same strings as you on my one mando that's just a little thin on the high E, they work well and feel good. Stay well!
    Thanks for the good info, Rob, I do appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CEF2460-493A-4E33-9315-4C30EEBB1356.jpeg 
Views:	982 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	193114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E890CF07-F437-453C-B10B-0F8EDB0772C4.png 
Views:	1285 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	193113It’s been awhile since I’ve posted here but wanted to share a couple of pics of the new Wienman I ordered and picked up on Thursday. Wes and Will were a pleasure to work with and this one looks, plays, and sounds great! Looking forward to getting to play it in a live setting when things get back to some semblance of normal. I hope everyone is doing well.
    Dragging this old thread out. Looking at a Wienman for myself...was this their normal Cremona or the bourbon burst finish they offer?
    1988 Stiver F Model
    2021 Northfield Big Mon

Hi Crazydiver...I won't speculate on your question about Joe's F5 finish. Whatever it is I like it, alot. Having said that, the last thing I should be thinking about is buying another mandolin. And then, Wes & Will come out with a new A5:/

It’s their Cremona finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
    It’s their Cremona finish.
    Thanks! its sharp as hell.
    1988 Stiver F Model
    2021 Northfield Big Mon