Thread: Concierto de Aranjuez Rodrigo

Default Concierto de Aranjuez Rodrigo

I have been searching for tabs to this concerto as i unfortunately cannot read music notes.
    I have attempted to convert guitar tabs to mandolin without success.
    Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of locating concerto de Aranjues by Rodrigo for mandolin preferably in tabs but one cant be too fussy when asking for help.

Default Re: Concierto de Aranjuez Rodrigo

Interesting idea. Are you wanting to learn the solo guitar part, and then play it with either orchestra or piano accompaniment? (I saw the first movement played with piano once by an excellent guitarist in France— it was a horrible noise, but it's a lot easier to find a pianist than to hire and rehearse a full orchestra.) Hard to imagine that anyone has actually played the piece on mandolin, and even harder to think they've entabulated the solo part for mandolin instead of just playing from the printed guitar part. Time to learn to read music!

On the other hand, if you're mainly drawn to the slow movement, you might try learning the solo by ear from a good guitar recording— or better yet, listen to Miles Davis' old recorded version (on Sketches of Spain) and work it out from that!

A while back i purchased a bowl back mandolin from an old gentleman who had been playing the mandolin since he was 11 years old. He played me an excerpt from the concerto on his mandolin using an organ prorammed to play a piano backing. Sadly i have no contact with him now and as i was intrigued by the melody i thought i might like to learn it. Luckily i managed to record a few minutes of the concerto while he ws playing.
    Arthritis in his hands ws a problem for him though.

It's still under copyright, so that will make it more difficult to find.