Thread: Beethoven Mandolin Sonatina in c WoO43a

Default Beethoven Mandolin Sonatina in c WoO43a

I am practicing this piece and didn't like any of the free versions I could find, so I made my own using lilypond. It's not perfect, but it's more readable than the imslp editions.

I hope somebody will find it useful

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beethoven-Sonatina_in_c-WoO43a.pdf 
Views:	141 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	193153

2. The following members say thank you to Luis Fernandez for this post:

Default Re: Beethoven Mandolin Sonatina in c WoO43a

Thank you, Luiz. Nice neat, clear copy. I know the piece only from Siegfried Behrend's old Zimmermann edition that I've had in my cabinet for decades. Behrend fills the page with unnecessary (and often absurd) fingerings and dynamics. So yours is a real improvement.

I have just a question about the grace notes in bars 2, 6, etc. Behrend prints them as sixteenths, and I imagine that is how most players would interpret them. (That is, the small note and the following eighth note are treated as two equal sixteenths.) Is that how you play them?

I had a copy IIRC of Hladky edition and it was equally dumb fingering. I bought the urtext edition—I forget the publisher. Much better. My favorite of these pieces is the variations.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim,

I have heard you make that remark before about Hladky's edition. I must say that I quite disagree. His fingering is actually quite good in regards to the effect he is aiming for. The finger is laid out very purposefully in regards to tone production and consistency of tone within a phrase. I highly recommend that edition of the Beethoven pieces and all of my students learn from this edition. Not saying that one can't play these pieces with different fingerings. Naturally. But to call them dumb is a bit harsh and maybe a bit misunderstood. Best wishes,

Chris....

6. The following members say thank you to Acquavella for this post:

Chris: Maybe that was a bit harsh and frankly I just recall some of the fingerings for the C major piece didn't make any sense. I asked a few other players and they agreed with me on that one. I don't even know if I still have that edition but I do respect your more learned opinion. I learned though at that point that there are multiple ways to play a piece and some work better that others. In any case, I prefer the Henle urtext edition and, for my own humble purposes, to work out my own fingering. I would gladly take another look and would gladly apologize to Professor Hladky if I could.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    I have just a question about the grace notes in bars 2, 6, etc. Behrend prints them as sixteenths, and I imagine that is how most players would interpret them. (That is, the small note and the following eighth note are treated as two equal sixteenths.) Is that how you play them?
    I have the same doubt, and after some testing I like to play them as almost sixteenths, but with a little breathe between the eight note and the following sixteenth.

9. The following members say thank you to Luis Fernandez for this post: