Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artistworks question

Default Re: Artistworks question

Just mentioning other teachers who are on Patreon or otherwise available for lessons, and i assume, one on one video lessons.

David Benedict

Tristan Scroggins

Baron Collins-Hill

Hayes Griffin

I'm sure there are others.

2. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Matt79 

Well, I signed up for PegHead Nation and got a free month. I've been working through the beginner stuff this morning, and it is exactly what I was looking for - very logically laid out, and you mark off each lesson as completed when you're done. It kind of gives you the satisfying feeling of checking things off of a "to-do list. I think I might stick with this for the month, and take a lesson from Wayne to see which one suites me best.

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Having some form of feedback is important to me. As a guitarist I tried Peghead Nation for a while and Scott Nygaard is great - I particularly love his arrangements of the fiddle tunes. But, in my very first video submission to Bryan Sutton he raised a point about my picking arm that I'd never considered in years of playing. Just having him spot it and getting me to adjust how I was playing has opened up my tone and made me a better guitarist. I would have learned a whole load of tunes from Peghead Nation over the past 6 months, but I'm not sure I'd have ever reached that breakthrough on my own.

If you want to learn tunes and songs there are plenty of great resources out there. If you want one on one lessons your options become a bit more limited based on money and where you live (and, at this point, COVID). For me, Artistworks gives me the balance of the resource and some proper one to one feedback. I can suck up the delay waiting for a response at the price point.

I also had the thrill of hearing Bryan Sutton grab his guitar and start playing backup to my lead on Black Mountain Rag during one of his responses. Not a reason to join Artistworks on it's own of course, but was very cool nevertheless!

My experience of Mike's mandolin lessons was very similar - really high quality, personal feedback that helps with how you play, not just what you play.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; Mar-31-2021 at 9:57am. Reason: adding a sentence

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Hutchinson For This Useful Post:

Yes, the personal feedback is key, despite the delay factor. In my last video, I showed Mike my mandola, and he said, "Cool! Let's hear that, too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Having some form of feedback is important to me. As a guitarist I tried Peghead Nation for a while and Scott Nygaard is great - I particularly love his arrangements of the fiddle tunes. But, in my very first video submission to Bryan Sutton he raised a point about my picking arm that I'd never considered in years of playing. Just having him spot it and getting me to adjust how I was playing has opened up my tone and made me a better guitarist. I would have learned a whole load of tunes from Peghead Nation over the past 6 months, but I'm not sure I'd have ever reached that breakthrough on my own.

If you want to learn tunes and songs there are plenty of great resources out there. If you want one on one lessons your options become a bit more limited based on money and where you live (and, at this point, COVID). For me, Artistworks gives me the balance of the resource and some proper one to one feedback. I can suck up the delay waiting for a response at the price point.

I also had the thrill of hearing Bryan Sutton grab his guitar and start playing backup to my lead on Black Mountain Rag during one of his responses. Not a reason to join Artistworks on it's own of course, but was very cool nevertheless!

My experience of Mike's mandolin lessons was very similar - really high quality, personal feedback that helps with how you play, not just what you play.
    Those are good points. PegHead Nation was a no brainer since it was free for a month, but I completely agree that while I think I'm doing exactly what Sharron is demonstrating, I'm sure I'm not, and it would be nice to have someone point it out.

I joined ArtistWorks' Mandolin with Mike Marshall just over two weeks ago and, so far, like it. I've already submitted my "Placement/Introduction" video to Mike and received a response video back from Mike about 10 days later. I hear that a 10+ day response time is what you can expect. Mike's response was great and he zeroed in on a couple of issues I have with my playing, pic upstroke and how I hold the mandolin. I have played the mandolin for years, mostly in my 20s many years ago. I was consumed by the mandolin back then, played in old time string bands. Taught myself, never took any lessons. I gave up playing for many years (decades really) and have gotten back to playing a couple of years ago. I've already realized I need to go back to the basics and learn good technique (unlearn old bad stuff). I'm ok with going back to the beginning and Mike's course curriculum is organized to follow easily, beginner, intermediate, advanced lessons. A ton of other lessons and resources as well. I'm a disciplined person so the organization and flow of the lessons will work for me I think. I like Mike's teaching style. I'm surprised at the different skill levels of the students, from beginners to very advanced players and everything in between. I learn a lot just watching other students' videos and Mike's responses.

I like the idea of PegHead Nation and will check that out one of these days.
    I also use Baron Collins-Hills YouTube videos which are great and free (he does accept donations through Patreon which I have done.
    https://www.mandolessons.com/
    https://www.patreon.com/mandolessons/posts

Thanks for all the posts everyone.
    2021 Ellis A4 Deluxe #537
    1919 Gibson A2 Sheraton Brown #52218

9. The following members say thank you to Peter Houser for this post:

Matt79 

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    There was just a huge amount of material and I found myself too tempted to skip around.
    I did, too --- at first. I would go to the tunes that I was interested in learning, but then I came across these intentional landmines where Mike would refer back to something that he had taught in an earlier tune or skill lesson. So, I started going in order.

It turned out that in many of the skill lessons that I thought I didn't need, Mike would present one or two significant things that I hadn't known before, so those lessons ended up being worth going through just to get those nuggets.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

11. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Matt79