Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

  1. #1

    Default Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    This was apparently stored in the attic near the chimney . Made from Hyde Glue and fell apart in my hands . The customer said his dad built it around ww2 ? ( have questions) Anyway he said I dont care about value, clean it up get the black off of it and make it playable. Soooooooooooo ...... Look at the neck after fret board was removed . Has anyone ever seen a neck that had an insert glued in like that before ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5675.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	193233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QOGX6562.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	858.2 KB 
ID:	193234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JLVD5401.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	193235
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMFV1957.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	193238  
    Last edited by Wudwerkr; Mar-31-2021 at 1:46pm.
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

  2. #2
    Registered User Denis Kearns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    west coast
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Maybe there's a piece of steel sandwiched in there for strength? You might be able to tell with a strong magnet. I did something similar to a doorframe after someone tried to kick the door in.

    Nice to see a piece of history being preserved.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    Maybe there's a piece of steel sandwiched in there for strength? You might be able to tell with a strong magnet. I did something similar to a doorframe after someone tried to kick the door in.

    Nice to see a piece of history being preserved.
    I am gonna try that good idea, Thank you
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Quote Originally Posted by Wudwerkr View Post
    I am gonna try that good idea, Thank you
    Nope Nothin
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

  5. #5
    Registered User sunburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    14,993

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Gibson put triangular maple inserts in pre-truss rod mandolin necks. I can't tell if that one is similar from the picture. The glue joint doesn't look nearly as good as the old Gibson inserts, and this one doesn't go to the end of the neck so we can't see what the shape is.
    Yes, check with a magnet to see if there is concealed steel, and I might be tempted to probe around the edges to see if the glue joint is loose. After all, all the other joints let go, this one might also. (I probably don't have to say this, but don't try to force it if it doesn't show looseness.) If you can get the piece to pop out then you'll know what you are dealing with.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Gibson put triangular maple inserts in pre-truss rod mandolin necks. I can't tell if that one is similar from the picture. The glue joint doesn't look nearly as good as the old Gibson inserts, and this one doesn't go to the end of the neck so we can't see what the shape is.
    Yes, check with a magnet to see if there is concealed steel, and I might be tempted to probe around the edges to see if the glue joint is loose. After all, all the other joints let go, this one might also. (I probably don't have to say this, but don't try to force it if it doesn't show looseness.) If you can get the piece to pop out then you'll know what you are dealing with.
    The holes that are opened , glue missing are rounded on the bottom as far as i can tell . Magnet used , nothing inside . I guess it could be triangle in nature. No i tried to pry slightly and there is no budging . So I am filling the glued areas back in and going on. I had never seen this before. Added a pic that shows head stock , Interesting Inlay there as well .
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,137

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Be aware not all steal is magnetic.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Be aware not all steal is magnetic.
    drilled couple 1/16" holes in it 1/2" or so deep after magnet check ... it is all wood.
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

  9. #9
    Registered User jim simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    5,203

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Could this instrument be considered a tenor guitar?
    Cabin Fever String Band, Bill Gorby and the Musical Mercenaries

  10. #10

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Could this instrument be considered a tenor guitar?
    I dont think so , but I guess anything is possible . 20-1/8" scale and had loop end banjo / mando looking strings on it soooooooooo really not sure

    One guy sent me this on diff site

    Canít tell for sure from the pictures but the scale length looks longer than mandolin. And only 4 strings? What this might be is a tenor harp.
    https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/.....-weymann-tenor...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weytha-01.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	193252  
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

  11. #11
    Mando-Accumulator Jim Garber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    28,351

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    A tenor harp is really either a tenor banjo with a wooden soundboard or a tenor guitar with a banjo-shaped body.
    Jim

    My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

  12. #12

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    A tenor harp is really either a tenor banjo with a wooden soundboard or a tenor guitar with a banjo-shaped body.
    Thanks

    Cleaning off the black paint someone applied in the past and found a very nice walnut heel cap. why people paint stuff i will never know.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5788.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	193416
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

  13. #13
    Mando accumulator allenhopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester NY 14610
    Posts
    16,627

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    There was a minor vogue for wood-topped tenor "banjos" before WWII; the best-known was the Paramount Tenor Harp, but Weymann also made a wood-topped model with a soundhole. And, of course, August Pollman in NYCity made a whole series of mandala-bodied instruments with four-, five-, and six-stringed necks.

    This one's the first I've seen with f-holes. Neck construction is certainly unique; perhaps the builder thought the central block would make the neck more rigid...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

  14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:


  15. #14
    Registered User jim simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    5,203

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Here's an electric vintage Epiphone that's been for sale locally (on craigslist)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Epiphone banjo.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	193418  
    Cabin Fever String Band, Bill Gorby and the Musical Mercenaries

  16. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:


  17. #15

    Default Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

    Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    There was a minor vogue for wood-topped tenor "banjos" before WWII; the best-known was the Paramount Tenor Harp, but Weymann also made a wood-topped model with a soundhole. And, of course, August Pollman in NYCity made a whole series of mandala-bodied instruments with four-, five-, and six-stringed necks.

    This one's the first I've seen with f-holes. Neck construction is certainly unique; perhaps the builder thought the central block would make the neck more rigid...?
    That was the only thing I could think of was rigidity ?
    Dont Sweat The Petty Stuff AND Dont Pet The Sweaty Stuff !!

    Website

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •