Thread: Stain in top wood

Default Stain in top wood

I'm carving a top from some torrified red spruce. As I am nearing my desired arching, a discoloration has appeared in the wood. I'm not sure what it is (looks kind of like mold), or what I can do to remove it. Any ideas?

Default Re: Stain in top wood

Here's a pic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top-stain.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	628.2 KB 
ID:	193290

Sunburst could be your friend. Or black, ‘Merlot’, or any number of choices.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Even a light 'burst will cover it. You can't 'remove' it, but you can cover it or feature it.

Adrian Minarovic

I had good luck removing similar green/blue mold stains from maple using strong hydrogen peroxide (30%) brushing directly on the stain and let dry. Repeat few times. Wait few days before finishing to dry.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I had good luck removing similar green/blue mold stains from maple using strong hydrogen peroxide (30%) brushing directly on the stain and let dry. Repeat few times. Wait few days before finishing to dry.
    I've never been able to get a color match bleaching wood. I can get rid of a dark stain but the resulting color is either lighter, greener, yellower, of otherwise different from the surrounding wood, so it has to be stained to get an even look anyway. Might as well just stain it to start with, I figure.
    If you can bleach spruce to a good color match my hat's off to you!

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    I've never been able to get a color match bleaching wood. I can get rid of a dark stain but the resulting color is either lighter, greener, yellower, of otherwise different from the surrounding wood, so it has to be stained to get an even look anyway. Might as well just stain it to start with, I figure.
    If you can bleach spruce to a good color match my hat's off to you!
    I only did it on european maple. Never tried it on spruce. I was a bit surprised that the H2O2 didn't bleach the surrounding wood - I applied it with fine brush first but after some bad strokes I noticed there was no noticeable change in surrounding wood so I just applied it generously over the spots. The green spots were not too large and after several rounds they looked like the mineral streaks you commonly see in some US maples - a bit darker tan then the rest of the wood but not really standing out.
    Adrian

Oh, that makes more sense. I have been able to bleach maple with satisfactory results. Sometimes alternate NaOH with H2O2.