Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

Default Re: Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    John, I didn’t ask the question, but sure do appreciate the detailed response
    Great! Remember, one person's experience with these picks may not be the same for the next person. It's just how it is perceived to me. Think of it as a starting point. I would be willing to meet almost anyone to let them try these if they are in my area. Old jarheads don't worry about meeting the wrong people too often. Eastern South Dakota is where I hideout.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I prefer the jazz large and XR to all the others. The thinnest triangle pick seems to give me an attack similar to the jazz large. The jazz large has been teaching me the faults of my picking. My hand was like a sewing machine and the tip would catch in the strings sometimes because of it so I have been very aware of not digging to deep. The drive is just easy and more forgiving of poor picking techniques. I like the tone of the jazz picks over the others and like I said the thinnest triangle in the picture has a similar tone and attack to the jazz large. The XR is a bit rounder on the attack tone but still very nice. The thickest normal sized jazz pick is odd to use after using the other picks it is quite small in comparison and likes to hide in my grip with just a tiny bit of tip sticking out. I find the shoulder and back on the jazz picks to be similar to the XR. If I could have only one it would be the jazz large or the XR with the jazz large edging the XR out on most days but the more I use the XR the more I like it. On mandolin I like them all but on guitar I always use the jazz picks preceding the large to the normal sized jazz pick. Did that help?
    Yes sir very helpful! Thank you for the feedback.

3. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

I noticed something else not necessarily Blue Chip pick-related but size-related. I work with my hands a lot. Some days more than others. This weekend I was moving rocks. Some large some small 10lbs on up to 300lbs. Although I can still pick these up I don't, I grab them and roll them into a loader and move as I desire. What I noticed is when my hands are tired and pumped, like muscles after a good workout, I tend to gravitate towards a different pick shape. My pumped tired hands enjoyed the XR 50 pick over the Jazz 100. On other days the Jazz 100 is plenty comfortable and the triangular a good compromise between the two.

As an aside, I am really liking the XR and Jazz and the triangular are getting a lot less love.

Apologies for digging this up it just seems I am noticing a lot more little things lately I never really noticed before or tonally noticed but had no idea why. I hope that means I am getting better but sadly my playing doesn't seem to improve but my ear does. How odd that seems to me.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Another vote for CT-55 (I play medium gauge strings on my oval too). I'm also using the same pick for flatpicking on a dread, probably should get a spare!

I use a Blue Chip pick TPR45 when playing my Girouard F5 oval hole which gives me a slightly fuller and warmer sound. My recommendation would be to call Blue Chip, tell them what you're after. Every time that I have called them they have been very helpful and gave excellent recommendations on what pick to select.
    2023 A. Lawrence Smart A5
    2022 Girouard Griffith Tribute A5
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    2021 Girouard Concert Master F Oval-hole
    2020 Heiden Artist Plus A5
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

My experience with BlueChips is limited to the 2 that I have; a TAD60 1R and a CT55. On the same mandolin, I find that the CT55 is much brighter than the TAD60. So that being said, on my Jacobson, WH I I found a little too bright for my preference, I used the TAD60 and that mellowed it to my liking, and for a while I used the CT55 on my SA which had a darker tone to start with.... now I use different picks on both instruments, but still I know what I'll get if I use either pick in any given scenario.

I can also say that I never use the 1 rounded side on the TAD60 as I just prefer the point and I never hear any pick click with them either.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I love the TAD 40 for my ovals. Just a little brighter than anything thicker and yet keeps a good deep tone on the low G string.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

I find I can really use any pick on my Gibson ('22 A2) oval and it sounds good. Even a thin pick keeps a good solid bass with warm highs. I feel these are much less fussy than ff hole mandolins.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I use a BC TD35 on all my mandos, all of which are oval.

I started this thread and I appreciate all the feedback. I have bought a few Blue Chip picks since starting this thread and I have sold most of them except two. I was really surprised and happy with the tone that I am getting from playing the Bobby Osborne picks. Really great pick and great price.