Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

Default Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

I know Blue Chip picks have been discussed extensively, but I am looking for feedback on what model Blue Chip pick you have found to work best on oval hole mandolins? I received a Gibson Snakehead A Junior mandolin yesterday and I am loving it. I have Primetone picks but I am wanting to buy a Blue Chip. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

I'm no blue-chip pickboy and no oval hole expert, I'd think an oval hole has a little less volume but sound is subjective and what one loves it's meh to another. Have to consider one that's brighter, mellower, flex, no flex and all mandolins sound different. Contact blue chip, tell them what you're after and go from there, opinions are like...well you know

I've got/tried about every brand/size made, one I use most often, a very few others I use for other tones, most I could just throw away that folks raved about ha.

I most often play a 1914 Gibson A, a vintage oval-hole mando.

I like to use a Blue Chip TP40. You might want to give them a try.

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. Does your TP40 have the speed bevel?

I play a 23 Gibson A2, Brentrup A4C (both oval holes) and Campanella A-5 (f-holes) all with TP50/speed bevel—just one notch thicker than the TP40 above. I tried the rounded tips but prefer the more pointed ones in general. It still is a personal choice, but since you asked...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you Jim. Nice group of mandolins you have sir.

With Blue Chip, my preferences are either the TAD-1R 40 or TD 35. Both sound great on the 1929 A Jr.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    With Blue Chip, my preferences are either the TAD-1R 40 or TD 35. Both sound great on the 1929 A Jr.
    Eric thank you for the feedback.

9. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

My son bought me a CT 55 about 1.5 years ago when he was in Boston. I like it a lot and it provides a nice clear thick tone that I enjoy. I mainly play fiddle tunes and classical pieces and it works well. If I mainly played chords I would probably get a thinner pick as the CT 55 can generate a lot of power. I also have an old TP-1R 50 that I liked a lot, but is past its prime from wear and scratches. Yes, you can wear out a Blue Chip pick!

Congrats on the new mandolin and play it in good health.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

My go to picks would be the Blue Chip TPR35 or KS35, both with right hand speed bevel. I've occasionally bumped up to a TPR40 or KS40 but I prefer the feel of playing triplets with the 35s. I would describe the sound with the 35s as bright and bell like, and with the 40's as slightly fuller and warmer sounding. I play Irish trad music exclusively and my preference in picks wouldn't go above 1.0mm in thickness. I've used Blue Chip TPR 35/KS35 picks with an assortment of oval hole mandolins: Pomeroy A4, Weber Gallatin oval F, Weber Vintage A, Black A2Z, '27 Gibson A-jr, Collings MT-O, Girouard Concert oval A.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

12. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I use a Blue Chip CT-55 to play oval as well as F hole mandolins. Enjoy that new to you mandolin. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

If you're playing the large triangle Primetones, then the TAD size would be the BC equivalent. I have an oval hole and the shorter neck/lower tension seems to like a slightly lighter pick than the CT-55, which has been my favorite for many years. I've found the TAD 50 with the speed bevel to be a good match. For your first Blue Chip, I would definitely get the speed bevel if you're picking faster tunes. Also, I'd try the -1R option. It gives you one rounded corner for a more mellow, muted attack.

Enjoy the new flavors in that mandolin!

Thank you to everyone for the feedback! I may be buying more than one Blue Chip pick! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    My go to picks would be the Blue Chip TPR35 or KS35, both with right hand speed bevel. I've occasionally bumped up to a TPR40 or KS40 but I prefer the feel of playing triplets with the 35s. I would describe the sound with the 35s as bright and bell like, and with the 40's as slightly fuller and warmer sounding. I play Irish trad music exclusively and my preference in picks wouldn't go above 1.0mm in thickness. I've used Blue Chip TPR 35/KS35 picks with an assortment of oval hole mandolins: Pomeroy A4, Weber Gallatin oval F, Weber Vintage A, Black A2Z, '27 Gibson A-jr, Collings MT-O, Girouard Concert oval A.
    Thank you. Do you still have your 27' Snakehead A-Jr?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMan1 View Post
    Thank you. Do you still have your 27' Snakehead A-Jr?
    I don't have it anymore unfortunately - it was a lovely mandolin but the flat fretboard didn't agree with me, so I ended up selling it to fund a Collings MT-O.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

You might want to consider Apollo picks as well.....https://www.apollopicks.com/

I like them better than my BC, have both the casein and peek styles.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Question Re: Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

'22 A4 .. have a CT 55 , but I have a TAD1R 50 too, 2nd hand buys..

and have been known to use Fender 346 'heavy' + a Dawg/GG...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    You might want to consider Apollo picks as well.....https://www.apollopicks.com/

I like them better than my BC, have both the casein and peek styles.
    I was checking out the Apollo picks too. I just ordered one. 40 day guarantee is hard to beat.

Blog Entries

On my oval holes, I like a lighter pick such as a plastic Dunlop .88. I just find that the tone the oval produces benefits from a lighter and brighter sounding attack. Also, a Wegen M100 works nicely for me. I know this is a very individual thing and I do love BC picks. I own two that I use frequently. Just throwing in my thoughts but not intending to sway anyone. I always find pick discussions very interesting.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    On my oval holes, I like a lighter pick such as a plastic Dunlop .88. I just find that the tone the oval produces benefits from a lighter and brighter sounding attack. Also, a Wegen M100 works nicely for me. I know this is a very individual thing and I do love BC picks. I own two that I use frequently. Just throwing in my thoughts but not intending to sway anyone. I always find pick discussions very interesting.
    I agree that an oval hole tone is better with a lighter and brighter sounding attack. I discovered that today after experimenting with various picks I own playing the Gibson Snakehead A Junior today.

I will consider the Wegen M100 too

23. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

You should try a VPick 1.5mm they cost $5 each, most you got to lose is 5 bucks. I use the teardrop traditional lite 1.5mm and have always played with the shoulders. I have a couple vpicks I've used for 5-6 years and there is no wear and they glide smoothly over strings as a bc does. And all picks will make a clicking sound, you'll hear some say the vpick is excessive, that's simply not true, as in most cases it's the player and not the pick. The bc has a touch less click due to it's deeper flatter sound but then a light click doesn't bother me at all. The bc is a mellow sounding pick very similar to the peeks I have and that's great if that's the tone you're after. The vpick has a bit more brightness and bite which I personally prefer and with using the shoulders it is just the right increase in a mellower sound for me. Nothing against a bc, it's a fine pick. What I like about the vpick is that I can get a number of tones out of 1 pick, brighter I can use the tip, using the shoulder I can get a deeper mellower sound but not a thud. As my peeks and bc'c are just a little to mellow for my taste, but everyone's different

And like I've said the BC is a fine pick, the VPick is a fine pick, it's all according to what tone you're after and you'll be the judge and it may not be either of these brands. I simply have never bought into the thought process that something is the greatest because so and so uses it. I ain't so and so, just little ole me.

25. The following members say thank you to CBFrench for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    You should try a VPick 1.5mm they cost $5 each, most you got to lose is 5 bucks. I use the teardrop traditional lite 1.5mm and have always played with the shoulders. I have a couple vpicks I've used for 5-6 years and there is no wear and they glide smoothly over strings as a bc does. And all picks will make a clicking sound, you'll hear some say the vpick is excessive, that's simply not true, as in most cases it's the player and not the pick. The bc has a touch less click due to it's deeper flatter sound but then a light click doesn't bother me at all. The bc is a mellow sounding pick very similar to the peeks I have and that's great if that's the tone you're after. The vpick has a bit more brightness and bite which I personally prefer and with using the shoulders it is just the right increase in a mellower sound for me. Nothing against a bc, it's a fine pick. What I like about the vpick is that I can get a number of tones out of 1 pick, brighter I can use the tip, using the shoulder I can get a deeper mellower sound but not a thud. As my peeks and bc'c are just a little to mellow for my taste, but everyone's different

And like I've said the BC is a fine pick, the VPick is a fine pick, it's all according to what tone you're after and you'll be the judge and it may not be either of these brands. I simply have never bought into the thought process that something is the greatest because so and so uses it. I ain't so and so, just little ole me.
    I have tried V-Picks before, but they just didn't work for me.

I find I prefer different picks on different days , whether it's because of atmospheric conditions or string condition, or what, I don't know.

Usually between Primetone triangle. 1.5 and Wegen TF140. I do have a Blue chip and occasionally it feels and sounds the best. I'm talking about a locally made carved top and back "Celtic" looking mandolin.

Maybe it's just the tyranny of choice.
    Bren

With several ovals, including a 1923 Gibson A2, I either use a Blue Chip TAD 40 (on most) or a Blue Chip TAD 35 if I want a little more brightness for that particular mandolin. I have tried everything but keep choosing Blue Chips as the best. I also do like the V-Picks Tremolo pick for even more brightness.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liestman View Post
    I also do like the V-Picks Tremolo pick for even more brightness.
    I had one of those picks back when they were labeled Tremelo and liked it quite a bit on flattops — very articulate — but predictably ended up losing the clear thing never to be recovered. I ultimately replaced it instead with a Wegen TF100.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

30. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post: