Thread: Mandolin Orchestra Soon to Be in DFW Area!

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Mandolin Orchestra Soon to Be in DFW Area!

I've been encouraging my friend and some-time teacher Gerald Jones to start a mandolin orchestra. (In my defense, he says he's considered it for either 10 or 30 years, can't remember which.) He says he's now ready! I'm counting on Caleb and Fred from the Cafe, and my good friend Laurie Baker to join me. Anyone else interested?

Gerald says he needs to find music for starting out with musicians of varying abilities. I'd be glad to pass on suggestions anyone might have.

Default Re: Mandolin Orchestra Soon to Be in DFW Area!

You might want to get in touch with Lon at Minnesota Mandolin Orchestra...

http://www.minnesotamandolinorchestra.org/

3. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

Seattle Mandolin Orchestra offers an associate membership that includes library privileges. Contact us at http://seattlemandolin.org
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

And have him check out and join CMSA for listings, resources, etc. I know that some of the other orchestras including the ones mentioned above would be willing to share music. CMSA also lists the existing orchestras.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Great! Check out Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra (henceforth PMO). https://www.pittsburghmandolinorchestra.com.
    I think of the PMO as being one of Pittsburgh's best features and for some unfortunates Pittsburgh's best kept secret.
    I can only imagine the work that goes into making an orchestra happen and have marveled at the job and commitment of the PMO's conductor. Without his relentless commitment it would not be all that it is. I say this with no intent upon minimizing the commitment of the players of which some travel a considerable distance for performances and weekly rehearsals.
    DFW will be better off for it. You are either blessed or cursed depending on your viewpoint with a large and growing population in the DFW area to draw musicians.
    Wishing you the best!
    Bill
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Apr-03-2021 at 4:50pm.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

9. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post: