Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Octave mandolin less-expensive choices

Default Re: Octave mandolin less-expensive choices

another vote here for Eastman.
    I've got one 3 months ago, before I've bought it, I've watched loads of videos on youtube with that instrument
    including one comparing it to a Weber, I like the sound of Eastman better.
    when I've bought it, I was sort of thinking that I'll keep it for a while and get my friend to make me a new OM.
    after I've changed strings, and the instrument settled, I sort of thinking now that I might keep it.
    make no mistake, it's a lot of instrument for the price, but the finish on the body is far from perfect, the neck takes getting used to
    as its quite thick - or maybe I'm just used too much to my banjo ;-)
    tuners are not great, and I'm thinking about changing them to something better - but they work and keep in tune.
    for 800$ you're getting an archtop instrument - I'm still jealous how much cheaper they are in US - that has a full rich sound.
    I don't think APC instrument are popular in US and I don't if you have anybody selling them, but they are a decent instruments as well - had their bouzouki while back. I like the headstock better on their zouk than on OM's.

I know you all are on the edge of your seats wondering what choice I made. :eyeroll:

Based on the recommendations here I got in touch with Kieran Moloney in Galway and found him to be every bit as helpful as indicated. If he (or ANYone in the USA, EU, or MENA that I could find) had an Eastman in stock that would've been my choice because it's just so purty. But after talking with Kieran about his stock and his impressions I went with

...drumroll please...

A Carvalho 308 with cedar top and a builtin pickup and tuner (which is apparently a custom configuration for his shop). That, plus shipping, plus a hard case and it was still a bit less than the Gold Tone that was my second choice. In order to avoid the mess that is Israeli customs, it's going to a friend's in the USA that I'll be visiting in a few weeks and I'll bring it home with me.

I bought a perfectly serviceable Johnson MA 550 through an auction site at a ridiculous low price at the time. I wanted to try an octave to offset the sound of another mandolin in the group when we played old time and/or Celtic tunes. It looks fancy, has a short scale and is relatively easy to fret. A little ‘growly’ on the bass strings through a mic, so where and how far the instrument is away from the mic is important.
    Play em like you know em!

Check Steilberg Strings Instruments in Louisville. I was just there and they told me they've become a national resource for mandolas and OMs from Eastman. Good people to work with, and they're a violin family instrument dealer, not just guitars. No affiliation. They're at www.stringinstruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    Check Steilberg Strings Instruments in Louisville. I was just there and they told me they've become a national resource for mandolas and OMs from Eastman. Good people to work with, and they're a violin family instrument dealer, not just guitars. No affiliation. They're at www.stringinstruments.com
    They were one of the places I called during my search. They were happy to take the order for an Eastman octave, but none in stock and no idea when that would change.

Eastman MDO 305 UK:

Richards Guitars 'in stock' £780 - https://rguitars.co.uk/products/east...sides-w-gigbag

Eagle Music £775 - https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/...-all-solid.htm

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm having a lot of fun with my mdo-305! I also went with the mandolin strings. No problem!

Retooling all my mandolin fiddle tunes - well, the ones that don't have me flying to the seventh with my pinky. It's just a fun practice grabbing the octave mandolin!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

There is a Michael Kelley Octave for sale here in Williamsburg VA on Craigs List for $725. (NFI) Here is the writeup:

ATTN: Mandolin players....Serious mandolin players might want to have one of these hanging around. This is a Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin Plus. This mandolin is made from all solid woods that have been carved by hand. The top is solid spruce. The back and sides are solid flamed maple. There is a two way adjustable truss rod inside the maple neck. This has a radiused rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays. The scale length is 19". Additional features include a cast tailpiece, Deluxe Grover tuners, bound body neck and headstock, dovetail neck joint, headstock inlay, a Tusq nut and a gloss tobacco sunburst finish....and this one is a 9.5/10. These instruments have been discontinued and you can find one once in a while on EBAY, Reverb, etc. I got what I thought was a good deal after shopping around and just 'paying it forward'. Comes with Michael Kelly custom fitted hard shell case. Reason for selling: Found out I pretty much am a guitar player but do love the sound this OM puts out. If interested please TEXT ONLY - 7FIVE7-897-3070. Thanks. Williamsburg area
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Eastman in the classifieds now.