Thread: Lucetta by flyde

Good Evening:

I was looking at the Flyde site and saw the Lucetta mandolin. Looks great. Does anyone know anything about this model? Any information would be appreciated.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

The Lucetta's seem pretty rare. I have seen one at the Fylde workshop, when I was there buying a bouzouki, but I didn't get a chance to play it.

I have played several of the Touchstone mandolins. My impression of the spruce/rosewood "Signature" Touchstone is that it did not sound significantly better than the standard model to justify paying the extra money, though it looked good. A couple of the Touchstones I've seen had a cedar top, like the Lucetta. They were very nice instruments - a slightly mellower sound than the standard Touchstone, with a little more bass, but similar volume. A cedar/rosewood Touchstone might be a nice combination.

Most of the Touchstone mandolins I've tried were new instruments, so I'm unable to say how the different wood combinations might change with time/playing.

There is a Youtube video of Ian Anderson briefly playing what appears to be a Lucetta here. The section with the mandolin starts about 2:40 from the start.

Patrick

Default Re: Lucetta by flyde

I have a lucetta.

It always helps to post a link or two. Here is the Lucetta page on Fylde's site. And here are some pics.

I am curious what these sound like. It looks like the neck join puts the bridge further back on the top than the Touchstone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lucetta1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	107840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lucetta2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	107841  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

They used to do a carved top/back version of this, it's flat now unless it's a special order. (Although all Fylde instruments are special order.) I had one a long time ago!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Quote Originally Posted by Loz View Post
    I have a lucetta.
    So do I. They're stunning!!!

Gibson Alrite Model D.

I tried one a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with the tone.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

They do tend to be very mellow, which I like!

Gibson Alrite Model D.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    I tried one a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with the tone.
    Was it the carved top/back or the flat one Roger makes now?

Gibson Alrite Model D.

"...very mellow..." I can think of other descriptions but some may sound worse than others.

Mellow to me means quiet and with not much depth of tone. That fits the one I played. Each to their own, and I expect they all sound different.

I can't remember whether the one I played was carved or flat.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Good comment Trevor. Most mandolinists play at home and that's why I like the mellow tone rather than a sharp/crisp sound being blasted out sometimes uncontrollably.
    As you said, each to his own!

Gibson Alrite Model D.

Blog Entries

I enjoy the acoustic tone, sweeter not quite so loud. However, I have found there are times when loud assists. Though I must say I am all for the softer acoustic sound.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

14. The following members say thank you to Pasha Alden for this post:

G7MOF 

Personally, I've never found a Fylde mandolin/mandola/octave that I could live with. My '24 Snakehead has a beautiful soft acoustic tone and is great for playing at home but, in a session, I need to play it hard and it loses much of its character. That's when I turn to my Kimble A5. The harder I play it, the better it sounds. I bet the "bescrolled" version Trevor currently has in stock is every bit as good, if not better.

I have a Fylde Octavius mandolin that was my only acoustic for 29 years, it's now 32 years old and I still love the mellow sound. It has great sustain whether acoustically or plugged in using the Ashworth under saddle pick up. (See how old it is now!) I played everything on it, especially Celtic and Church "sub rock pop" music and loved it, though some on the forum might say I knew no better. I must admit I use a solid bodied electric for night band gigs; it's much easier when playing electric 10 string mandocello too. I now use a Breedlove OF for acoustic gigs, the punch is unbeatable but the sustain is not the same. The Fylde is still my "go to" at home.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
    ...I still love the mellow sound....plugged in using the Ashworth under saddle pick up...
    Hmm... I love the soft, mellow acoustic sound -- especially when I can amplify it so it's loud...?

Now I'm confused.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Don't be confused. When the Fylde was the only mandolin I had, it had to cover all the bases, and it did. The Ashworth under saddle into the old Trace Elliot TA100 reproduced a fair approximation of the old Fylde's acoustic sound; mellow with a reasonable sustain. An unamplified Fylde Octavius could never cut it against more than one guitar, even in a small room. To go back to the OP, I must admit I lusted after the Lucetta, when I first saw it in 1982 I think, but even for a 21st birthday present the price was way too high. That's when I got the Octavius, so it's a special relationship that we have.

19. The following members say thank you to RichardF for this post:

I have a 1979 Lucetta. I’m thinking of selling it.
    Cheers. Loz