Thread: Octave Mando Tunings

Default Octave Mando Tunings

I have a mdo-305. I read somewhere about putting mandola strings on it. I did and am not real fond of the sound. But before I change them back I wondered if I could use a mandola tuning without doing damage. I'm pretty novice all the way around so any thoughts would be welcome.

Default Re: Octave Mando Tunings

I am pretty sure that those strings will break before you get them up to mandola pitch. And if you did manage to get them there, the stress would probably not be good for your instrument.

I think the idea is that you use the D'Addario mandola set but still keep it in GDAE octave tuning.

I think the heavier strings will drive the top better for tone and volume and the shorter scale of the Eastman.

EJ76 Mandola: 15/15-25/25-35/35-52/52
    EJ80 Octave Mandolin: 12/12-22/22-32/32-46/46
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have EJ72 mandola strings on my 20" scale OM right now. Yes the idea is to keep the tuning of an OM using mandola strings. These strings and also John Pearse "octave mandola" strings were recommended here in another thread. They work really well on short scale OMs to tighten up the lower courses. The 'G' strings especially sounded flabby and unfocused using standard OM strings. But I also like the sound of the D, A and E strings. Really focused. On a longer scale instrument I'd probably be using standard EJ80s.
    NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O
    Northfield F5S
    Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave
    Home built F5 (1995)