Thread: In memory of Tony Williams

Blog Entries

Default In memory of Tony Williams

From time to time we receive notes such as what follows and this one seemed appropriate to share after some discussion with the individual that contacted us and we do so with their permission. I did not know Tony, did not try to find his account or email, and this simply serves as a reminder that Forums have widely varying types of individuals that use if for different purposes far beyond posting.

--------------

My friend's name is Tony Williams, most recently of Clinton, MD - with stops along life's way in Binghamton NY, Bellingham WA, Boulder & Denver CO, Baltimore MD, and Univ of MD in College Park. He was a musician, artist, wildlife lover, and intellectual explorer, all the while applying his specialized skills in the Collections dept of the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC.

Tony was a private person, avoided social media, so I doubt he had a public presence among the larger Mandolin Cafe community. I believe it was through your website that he found just the right expert to repair and rebuild one of his prized mandolins.

He passed away unexpectedly, peacefully, on 4 November 2020 just four days before his 66th birthday. Since then, I've been considering which organizations might best reflect his cherished interests and activities and am making a small donation to each in his memory.

Since you don't have a particular way to designate such donations, I'll leave this message with you, in appreciation of the enjoyment Tony received from your community. When my contribution is processed, you'll know who it is meant to honor.

Janice Schreck

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: In memory of Tony Williams

Thank you for that, Janice.

I found it quite moving, and I hope when my turn comes that I will be so fondly remembered.
    David A. Gordon

4. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post: