Thread: Eastwood 8-string vs. 4-string Nut Widths

Question Eastwood 8-string vs. 4-string Nut Widths

Howdy all,

I've been interested in trying my hand at 8 strings versus 4 on an Eastwood electric. I have a few electric tenor guitars from Eastwood and will more than likely purchase an OM or Mandocello type of instrument from them in the future.

One thing that puzzles me is that Eastwood uses a 1-5/16" nut on their 4-string Warren Ellis Series & MRG Studio instruments, but a narrower 1-3/16" on their 8-strings. Just seems backwards to me. As I have no experience with their OM or Mandocello, this is causing me reluctance to purchase an eight string from them.

Can anyone help me understand this, or offer their experiences please?

Thanks,
    Huck

Question Re: Eastwood 8-string vs. 4-string Nut Widths

My guess: you will bend strings sideways when there are just 4, but not if there is 8 .. ?

You could eMail the Eastwood company importer's HQ & Ask them?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Eastwood 8-string vs. 4-string Nut Widths

I have the 8 string MRG model, sold as an octave mando tuned GDAE 23.5 inch scale and 1,3/8 inch wide nut.

its a little longer scale than I am used to on octave but the neck is considerably narrower than standard guitar, which helps with that 5ths tuning.

I think its a decent instrument, not sure the string gages as I have not restrung it yet.
    I prefer the 1- 3/8 nut over the 1-1/8 even on mandolin, but that's just me.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I have the 8 string MRG model, sold as an octave mando tuned GDAE 23.5 inch scale and 1,3/8 inch wide nut.
    Thanks for your reply. Surprising you say 1-3/8" nut width on your MRG Studio - website says 1-3/16" on all of their 8-string MRG Studio instruments.

I know my Eastwood e-mandola is very narrow; the strings are way too close to the edge of the fretboard for me. It is lucky to make 1-3/16" and the nut is actually wider than the neck. For me, 1-3/8" makes more sense and is not narrow at all. That is actually wider than my 4-string W.E. 2P Tenor & Tenor Baritone both at 1-5/16"

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    …the neck is considerably narrower than standard guitar, which helps with that 5ths tuning.
    Any chance you can expound on that?

I suppose I'll just have to wait until I find something I like.

trodgers summed it up best:
    Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    I really have to give Eastwood credit for making a variety of tenors that I almost want.

5. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

I haven't found this with octaves so much but with mandocellos if the neck width is standard guitar, some of the chord shapes and or scale/ arpeggios are difficult to reach, it has more to do with the way the instrument is tuned, a guitar being in 4ths the tones are closer together( string to string), on 5ths they spread out.
    For example I have the Goldtone Mandocello which is standard guitar neck, and then I have a Ratliff mandocello with a much narrower neck and it is IMHO easier on the left hand.
    on the 1-3/8 vrs 1-3/16 it could just be my old eyes trying to read the little line on the tape measure.
    all in all the Eastwood MGR octave is a decent instrument for the price, I'll admit I prefer my acoustics but I do experiment with electric music and it works well, it has the fender tele style bridge which I am not crazy about, it makes the strings lay real flat on the neck where as all my acoustics have an arch.
    It is fairly heavy but not as bad a say a Gibson Les Paul.
    But I like it, no regrets, could you use it on stage or in a studio? I don't see why not.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Thank you again for your insight.