Thread: Jay Ungar, Mandolin Picker

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Jay Ungar, Mandolin Picker?

The title of this thread is rather vague, more or less intentionally so.

I've been watching Ken Burns' 2001 documentary, "Mark Twain," and enjoying it immensely, of course. The story of one of my favorite writers and characters, told by one of my favorite filmmakers and his team of brilliant storytellers - what's not to like?

I've been transfixed by more than the story, but also the music, which weaves in and out, presenting a dazzling array of Americana in due course, setting the story in its time period with extraordinary examples of the history of American popular songs. I am baffled, though, by the short shrift given the musicians. Indeed, there is nearly no credit given whatsoever. All that appears in the credits is:

Instrumentalist and Studio Arrangements
    Bobby Horton
    Traditional Music
    Jacqueline Schwab, piano
    Additional Traditional Music
    Jay Ungar (Part I)
    Molly Mason (Part I)
    Teese Gohl (Part II)

I know Jay Ungar is known mostly for fiddle, and Molly Mason for guitar, but does he also play mandolin? And who is Bobby Horton?

I'm asking because mandolin is all over the soundtrack; it is indeed perhaps the most prominent instrument. It is expertly played and finely recorded. Yet I can't tell if there was a band playing the music or if it were recorded by multi-tracking. It sounds very natural, unforced, organic and fluid. I'm curious to know who was playing, if anyone knows, or can point me in the right direction to learn such information.

The music credits concentrate on the writers thereof, with some performers listed - though there seems to be no discernible group of performers mentioned - and is far from complete. Certainly not for the incidental music, which weaves in and out throughout the production. And is sublime.

The movie is available on Amazon Prime until the end of the month. I don't know how I missed it when it was first-run, though that was a transitional year, and must have slipped past me somehow. I just reached the halfway point, and look forward to the rest of the story.
    Last edited by journeybear; Apr-04-2021 at 9:44pm. Reason: Thought of something else
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Jay Ungar, Mandolin Picker

Jay's a fine mandolinist; he gave a mandolin workshop at our Turtle Hill Folk Festival here in 2019. He devoted the workshop to working out sections of a blues tune, using some unusual chord formations around the 9th-12th frets. Clearly influenced by jazz-fiddle patterns. He was playing an old A-4; here's a pic of him on Flickr, if the link works.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Bobby Horton -- see https://www.bobbyhorton.com/bio/
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Blog Entries

And thanks for the heads up on the Mark Twain movie available on Amazon Prime. Will watch.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

6. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

just ask Ken - he’s probably quite reachable at his studio

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jay Ungar, Mandolin Picker?

Geez, I dunno. He may seem like a down-to-earth guy, but that might be a bit presumptuous.

But I wonder ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Thanks for the heads up, will watch...
    Chuck

I took a mandolin workshop with Jay at Ashoken Southern week. He’s a great player and a great teacher. He also plays old time banjo.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Nah- just do it. He lives 2 towns from me and although I don’t personally know him, he or one of his associates can probably quickly answer your question easily. If you don’t want to tread there, I will be glad to assist. They are not overly snooty there.
    Florentine Films, Walpole NH.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the offer, but I am fully capable of making a fool of myself all on my own.

Well, yes, turns out he is pretty goshdarned welcoming. There's the usual leave-an-email method, or a phone number, for goodness' sake!

PS: The new Hemingway film is coming up the next three nights.

13. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Bobby is quite well known in civil war re enactment circles for his recordings of civil war era music. Haven't heard his name in a while now. I don't have Amazon prime, but will look out for the movie when it hits other sources. Have read books about Mark Twain, and play a weekly river cruise in the summer here, I like river stories. Grew up on the river, grandpa a commercial fisherman.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

15. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, I followed the link to his website and saw he had lots of albums of Civil War music, from both sides. The movie is from 2001, so I doubt it will be showing up anytime soon. Though you never know - Ken Burns' films show up quite often during public TV stations' pledge periods. However, it is bound to resurface in 2035 for the bicentennial of Mark Twain's birth. Hang in there!

BTW, I have Amazon Prime only because it's a perk from my phone company. Kind of an odd association. Otherwise, I would never be buying enough from Amazon in the course of a year to justify the annual fee. And I never thought one way or another about it. Until the lockdown, when I discovered Prime Video and how much they offer there.

On the youtube video of The Lovers' Waltz you can see what looks like an F4 and a guitar behind Jay Ungar and only the two of them on stage. Don;t know if ne of them played the F4 or if they were just doing that duet and other musicians had left the stage.

It is a beautiful tune and performance by both. Whilst I enjoy playing it on mandolin, it doesnt work as well as the violin. Some tunes are just like that.

Jay plays that f4 a lot on their weekly shows on Facebook.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I don't do facebook but I've just googled on youtube and found https://youtu.be/qF-iNlSgDKA this concert where the F4 works great in a duo setting. He has an F5 hanging on the wall but good to see the F4 being used. Sounds good.