Thread: Partial capo for OM?

Default Partial capo for OM?

I'm experimenting with some arrangements of Irish/Scottish tunes in G minor (actually G dorian) where I think it might work to capo at the 3rd fret, and I'd like to still have the big open G note on the bottom strings.

I'm familiar with "partial capos" for guitar, but this OM has a narrower neck. Are there partial capos available for banjo that might work, leaving the bottom string course open? I've scanned the usual online sites and it's not clear what might work on a narrower neck than a guitar. Has anyone here experimented with this?

Default Re: Partial capo for OM?

Yes, I'm experimenting with Cut (partial) capo. Caste on Mandole, Tenor guitar or Tenor Banjo. Cut capo is a very inspiring thing.
    Here is my playlist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-W...hToywJ&index=2
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

in the Big Book of Mandocello Chords Harvey Reid discusses a Liberty Flip model 43 for guitar 3+4 ( without clamping 5 +6 ) and Model 65 for guitar 6 + 5

he lists the url as http://www.libertyguitar.com/capos.html

I myself have not tried these but looks like what you need?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Have you tried something like a Shubb banjo capo?
    Russ Jordan

I've looked at the suggestions above, and thanks everyone, but I'm not sure those will work while still keeping the right pressure on the back of the OM neck.

I think what I might end up doing is just buying another one of the capos I use on my OM -- a Planet Waves guitar capo -- and cutting off the rubber part that sits over the bottom G string course. Or just sawing off that whole end of the capo if cutting off the rubber doesn't work, and there is still enough pressure against the back of the neck to keep it centered. I'll report back if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I've looked at the suggestions above, and thanks everyone, but I'm not sure those will work while still keeping the right pressure on the back of the OM neck.

I think what I might end up doing is just buying another one of the capos I use on my OM -- a Planet Waves guitar capo -- and cutting off the rubber part that sits over the bottom G string course. Or just sawing off that whole end of the capo if cutting off the rubber doesn't work, and there is still enough pressure against the back of the neck to keep it centered. I'll report back if that works.
    Uses Partial capo from Shubb. The rubber above the string G has already been cut there. I don't know how wide your fingerboard is, whether the shubb C7 or C8 will be better for you. https://shubb.com/product-category/c...al-capos/#shop
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

7. The following members say thank you to ondrej for this post:

Jacob 

Never really tried it but I thought I’d see if it worked. The D’addario banjo/mandolin capo (screw fitting) fits well over three courses on my GBOM. The front and back of the capo are more or less parallel and the back is almost as long as the front.

I doubt whether I’ll ever get into partial capoing though!

Kyser might work by positioning it over just the strings you want to capo, also they make a partial capo. Another cool capo is the Spyder capo, where you can pick and choose your strings.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Quote Originally Posted by Amandalyn View Post
    Kyser might work by positioning it over just the strings you want to capo, also they make a partial capo. Another cool capo is the Spyder capo, where you can pick and choose your strings.
    Spider capo is good. It is slowly used between songs.
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

I've been doing this for years.* What works best for me is a Shubb capo that I trim to cover either 4 or 5 courses or 3 or 4 courses. My favorite combo is to capo the at the 5th fret and leave the lowest string open.

*One track on my Dragon Reels CD "Uncle Dick's Reel" uses that trick on a DAEAE tuned 10 string bouzouki for D2D3A3D4A4 with the capo on. Sounds HUGE! ;-)