Thread: Strings similar to J74 but brighter?

Default Strings similar to J74 but brighter?

I’m looking for more top end. I did not like the nickel bronze. Is there anything like the J74s but with more top?

Default Re: Strings similar to J74 but brighter?

Plain strings are plain strings. You can vary the gauge, but brands are still using the same wire. Don't think it will make a difference.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Agreed. If you're not trying it already, check out a pick with a more aggressive point. That may bring out some top end.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

By “top end,” do you mean more brightness across all the strings? That’s how I read it.

GHS bright bronze – or consider purchasing a vintage F5.

Steve Smith out of Las Cruces told me he uses GHS A270 Medium strings. I tried them and really like them over the J74’s I’ve been using for years. I find them to be a bit brighter but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    Steve Smith out of Las Cruces told me he uses GHS A270 Medium strings. I tried them and really like them over the J74’s I’ve been using for years. I find them to be a bit brighter but YMMV.
    I also find the A270s to be a bit brighter than J74s. Just found out about the A275s, which are cryogenically treated. I am not sure what that gets you, but I'm going to give them a try too. I have had good luck with D'Addario's XS strings, which are coated similar to EXPs. They are pretty bright, and stay that way a long time.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    By “top end,” do you mean more brightness across all the strings? That’s how I read it.
    Yup.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

If you are wanting brightness across all the strings try the GHS pure nickel. I like the 11-41, but I also use the 10.5-39 on another mandolin. They really keep their brightness a long time too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I also would suggest trying different picks. The material, thickness, shape of the point(s), whether it's "speed-beveled" or not all make a pretty noticeable difference - probably more noticeable than the strings on the mandolin (IME/IMO).

If you're resistant to a pick change and really want to try different strings, D'Addario lists 80/20 gauge as being brighter than PB. Now, I don't have any experience on the mandolin with that alloy, but on my guitars, their 80/20 definitely helped open up my old mahogany/cedar box (vs. the PBs I always used before). Googling around, it seems that the 80/20 mandolin sets are more common in light gauges (e.g. 10-34), but Curt Mangan sells a medium (11-40) gauge set.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    After seeing many comments like Jim's, I recently put GHS A270's on my Collings MT. I found them, on this instrument, to have more bass and a bit muddy sounding and definitely less treble. Yes indeed, YMMV!
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

I've been using Curt Mangan strings for a few years. I've tried nearly every brand out there and the Mangan's give me better tone (richer, fuller sound), better volume and better sustain.

As others have said, picks make a huge difference. I've tried every pick material, in every shape, from most all the well known standard and boutique pick makers.

The brightest tone I've ever had was using Gravity acrylic picks, 1.5 - 2.0 mm.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post: