Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapes Strings

Default Mapes Strings

Hadn't seen Mapes mentioned in awhile. This is my first order from Mapes. Got 2 custom sets Nickel Plated and PB so we'll see. Been using Straight Up for about a year.
    Last edited by CBFrench; Apr-06-2021 at 10:05pm. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Mapes Strings

I'm a big Mapes fan, but I recently tried a set of Martin Monels and I like the drier sound. I'll probably switch.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

I like them and their customer service is very good.

4. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

first time trying for me, I'll either like them or not, think I'll start with the nickel, so far Straight Up's are nice, never know til you try tho..the only martin strings I've ever used are acoustic and personally I found nothing to like about them, kinda turned me totally against martin strings

I haven't tried their mandolin strings yet, but I love their banjo strings.

I've been a fan since I found out about them. I buy all my strings from Mapes.
    They make wire and strings for the other string companies as well as pianos.
    They are the best value @ $6.00 for a mandolin set. Same shipping for as many sets as one might order.
    The sound is great IMO. I have used the phosphor and brass blend.
    You can custom order whatever gauge you want with no extra charge.
    And an actual human answers the phone when you call!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

8. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

I absolutely love Mapes strings. I've been trying others just to see and I keep missing them. The feel and sound is great (must be that Appalachian Moonshine they go on about) and they last forever. I wrote in the comments for my last order that I'd love a sticker. They didn't have any and sent me a hat. How about that?!
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

I looked at my order on my Mapes account. it shows "on hold" whatever that means?

Moonshine was ready?

Count me in as a Mapes mandolin string fan. Their resonator strings are great too!
    Randy Mallory
    2020 Gibson Custom Shop F5 MSC Wide Nut (2020) David Harvey
    2022 Eastman MD515
    2022 Northfield NFO-AT1 Octave Mandolin
    and a few more....

I use Mapes on my mandos and even my mandola. I just up the gauges on the mandolin strings to 15,25,35,52. $6.00 a set!

14. The following members say thank you to Bob Visentin for this post:

I assume you can buy single gauge strings, if not then the next set order. I'm at 11.5 and 16 on E & A now, wanting to raise to 12 & 17 and go from there

Back in 2018 I bought some of the guitar strings at $20 for three sets. I really liked the strings and attempted to order more, but the price had changed to $60 for a three pack only 3-4 weeks later - triple the price I'd just paid. I called Mapes to see if it was an error and they told me they were getting out of the retail string business and raised the price to push down sales before they took them off the website. A few months later they'd reverted to the previous price of $20 for three sets and when I inquired again denied they ever had a plan to discontinue retail sales. I gave away the rest of the strings I'd originally purchased and swore of dealing with them again.

well it 2021 now and my strings are scheduled to be in this friday so I'll see how i like them, been using straight up strings mostly lately

Mapes is one brand I've not tried yet. I've tried most all the usual favorites (except TI). My favorite strings so far for most of my instruments are Curt Mangan.

Can anyone comment with a comparison in tone, volume and sustain between Mapes vs Mangan?

19. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

I've had my Mapes nickel wound on for several days and so far I like them better than any brand I've tried and that's been quiet a few brands. What I like is the rich tone whereas other brands had a much brighter tone that I didn't care for. Just experimenting I ordered two custom sets, PB's and nickel plated that I tried first and moved up to a 0.12 gauge E string on both sets and it made a world of very good difference for me and my instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    I've had my Mapes nickel wound on for several days and so far I like them better than any brand I've tried and that's been quiet a few brands. What I like is the rich tone whereas other brands had a much brighter tone that I didn't care for. Just experimenting I ordered two custom sets, PB's and nickel plated that I tried first and moved up to a 0.12 gauge E string on both sets and it made a world of very good difference for me and my instrument.
    Glad to hear you're liking them. I had the same outcome with Mapes. They've been my favorites since.

Also realize that you can go .0115, if you just want a bit extra but not go all the way to .012.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

Quote Originally Posted by withfoam View Post
    Glad to hear you're liking them. I had the same outcome with Mapes. They've been my favorites since.

Also realize that you can go .0115, if you just want a bit extra but not go all the way to .012.
    I've been using .0115 on my Straight Up sets but the .012 gives me a bit of ump, less brightness but still has that punch I'm after and my instrument seems to like the weight also...I use heavy gauge strings on my OM acoustic, archtop and electric as my bends are mostly half-step on guitars.

OK - I'm a mando newbie; after reading some of these posts I'm wondering what's the benefit of using their "Octacore" strings https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/octacore-mandolin/ over their regular strings https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/mandolin-strings/.

Unsure. One of the product pages says this: "Conventional strings are wound with hexagonal cores and bite the wrap at only 6 points. Octacore Strings engage the wrap with 8 gentler points to secure the string along its entire length."

It tells me what it literally is, but I'm still unsure what that means for me.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

I love the nickle plated I just got a few weeks ago I just order another set of octacore electric, acoustic and mandolin strings

OCTACORE Mandolin × 1
    Mandolin Alloy: Nickel Plated Steel
    Mandolin Gauges: My Custom Gauges
    My Custom Gauges: .012 .016 .024 .039

OCTACORE Acoustic Strings × 1
    Choose Alloy Type: Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings
    Acoustic Octacore Gauges: 13 17 26 36 46 56

OCTACORE Electric Guitar Strings - My 6-string Custom Gauges × 1
    My Custom Gauges: 12-16-22w-28-38-50

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by withfoam View Post
    Unsure. One of the product pages says this: "Conventional strings are wound with hexagonal cores and bite the wrap at only 6 points. Octacore Strings engage the wrap with 8 gentler points to secure the string along its entire length."

It tells me what it literally is, but I'm still unsure what that means for me.
    In past times the winding sometimes came loose from the core wire when the wire got damaged in few spots by strong fretting or damage by bending the same string at the same spot. The string would not tune true anymore and often buzz. This happened especially on handmade strings.
    On hexagonal (or octagonal) core the windings hold better "grip" on the core. I haven't seen this happen for many years on any (standard) strings even with round core since the machine winding took over completely and the windings are really well and evenly packed on the pretensioned core. Some cheap (chinese, knockoff) strings still made by hand may show this problem.
    I don't see nay problem with hexagonal core so octagonal is likely just finding some new marketing phrase as production-wise there is no difference. The only argument may be that the gentler points of the core may help with longeviity (the larger points of hex possibly causing sooner wearing through the winding at fret positions). I haven't experienced wearing through for many years unless the strings were left on instrument well past their normal life cycle (few years of playing). Perhaps some of the thinnest wound strings like thin electric g guitar strings or such could show difference.
    Adrian

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

double post...
    Adrian

For some reason I'm having to tune a whole lot less with the Mape strings, all other brands I was re-tuning alot even after playing a few tunes no matter string age. My mandolin has been in the case a few days, took it out last night and it was almost perfectly in tune and this hasn't been the case before and these strings are only a week or two old. I did put a tiny bit of lube on my tuning gears and that helped tremendously, they were getting pretty hard to turn.

Blog Entries

I hadn’t heard of Mapes. Makes me wanna try some! Thanks for the post!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"