Thread: Kentucky km-900 question

Default Kentucky km-900 question

I’ve found a km-900 for sale in the wild. It’s a 2010 model, does anybody know if it’s Adirondack topped or Sitka topped? I REALLY like the sound of it and it has me very curious if it’s because I’ve never used an adi top before or if it just happens to have some mystical splash of mojo...
    The Loar lm-600
    Kentucky KM-150
    Northfield M
    Martin D-16GT
    65’ Gibson LG-0 x braced
    Gibson G-45
    RK Ros-06
    Pisgah Dobson Rambler

Default Re: Kentucky km-900 question

I used to have one from the first, very early 2009 batch which had double-binding and crazy flamed wood all over. Not sure what kind of spruce was on top though... maybe you can do a search for some early info... I believe this model was introduced here on The Cafe right at the outset... any pics?

Does the type of spruce used for the top influence your decision about purchasing this mandolin? If your REALLY like the sound of it, the species of spruce used for the top shouldn't influence your decision about purchasing it. Play the poop out of it!

4. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

I have no idea what spruce is on the top of those, but I will say I have one. It is a fantastic instrument, particularly given the cost. I use it for shows I'm not comfortable taking my Gilchrist. It hits way above its weight. My advice is always if you can find one of these, buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Does the type of spruce used for the top influence your decision about purchasing this mandolin? If your REALLY like the sound of it, the species of spruce used for the top shouldn't influence your decision about purchasing it. Play the poop out of it!
    I’m only curious because it may lead me to search for that type of top in future purchases that I’d normally overlook.
    The Loar lm-600
    Kentucky KM-150
    Northfield M
    Martin D-16GT
    65’ Gibson LG-0 x braced
    Gibson G-45
    RK Ros-06
    Pisgah Dobson Rambler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I have no idea what spruce is on the top of those, but I will say I have one. It is a fantastic instrument, particularly given the cost. I use it for shows I'm not comfortable taking my Gilchrist. It hits way above its weight. My advice is always if you can find one of these, buy it.
    I definitely bought it. I was fond of my km-150 even for how cheap it is so an even nicer Kentucky A was a no brainer.
    The Loar lm-600
    Kentucky KM-150
    Northfield M
    Martin D-16GT
    65’ Gibson LG-0 x braced
    Gibson G-45
    RK Ros-06
    Pisgah Dobson Rambler

8. The following members say thank you to LeeGarrett for this post: