Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chord Questions

Default Re: Chord Questions

I think in terms of pure theory semantics the inversion only applies to which tone is in the bass. The rest of the voicing isn't really part of whether/how its inverted or not, if that makes sense. Normally we'd say root position, 1st inversion if the 3rd is in the bass, 2nd inversion if the 5th is in the bass, and 3rd inversion if the 7th is in the bass. The ordering of the notes above doesn't really matter in the usage of the term.

Quote Originally Posted by diggida View Post
    I think in terms of pure theory semantics the inversion only applies to which tone is in the bass. The rest of the voicing isn't really part of whether/how its inverted or not, if that makes sense. Normally we'd say root position, 1st inversion if the 3rd is in the bass, 2nd inversion if the 5th is in the bass, and 3rd inversion if the 7th is in the bass. The ordering of the notes above doesn't really matter in the usage of the term.
    Although those are the "named" inversions, any order other than 135 (7 9 11 13) is an inversion.

In my experience thats not how people use that word, but it's just semantics and nomenclature that largely doesn't matter, haha.

Not to cloud the issue further but a lot of what we work with are chord voicings, not just inversions. Much of music theory assumes a piano (or an orchestra). On mandolin we have to use what we can.

5. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Yes!!! And then take this thread and filter it through trying to convert everything to tenor tuning while maintaining the original key. CGDA. That'll larn ya. Am in the middle of relearning Greisers (thank you sir) version of "The New Five Cents" after about 10 years. Inversions are just "different" fingerings.

Make it your own.

Then teach somebody else your version. Andonandon.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Although those are the "named" inversions, any order other than 135 (7 9 11 13) is an inversion.
    I'm not so sure that that's how it is. Is not 1𤃁 (or 10, if you prefer) still considered root position?

I don't believe that close vs open position changes things as far as inversions go.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    I'm not so sure that that's how it is. Is not 1–5–3 (or 10, if you prefer) still considered root position?

I don't believe that close vs open position changes things as far as inversions go.
    My understanding is the inversion depends on the lowest note and the other variations are voiceings.

Yeah, that抯 generally how people refer to what an inversion is. It抯 the bass note that matters. The rest of it is how it抯 voiced.

In the context of low note challenged instruments like mandolin, banjo, ukulele, tenor guitar it may not be practical or even effective to play these bass notes on the bottom, but those notes usually indicate an interesting melodic line or voice leading that could be useful. I抣l put the slash notes on top or in the middle of chord voicings sometimes to pull out the intended motion in a series of chords.